Is this stoopid or what?? Court: Chipotle restaurant violated disability law

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Mmmmm.... Chipotle... Is it lunchtime yet?

PS: This was the 9th Circuit... In California... Enough said.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
And a bar or club that charges an admission fee? Or decides who can come in based on how they are dressed? Or how "good-looking" they are?
Admission fees do not change the status of a business as a public accommodation, though a membership requirement does.
Dress codes are no big deal, so long as they are enforced equally on all customers.
"Ugly", so far as I know, is not a protected class under civil rights law. I personally lack standing to challenge policy on that point, though you are welcome to try...

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
YOU brought up jim crow not me.

Oh and here is Rand Pauls own words....

"Last night Rand Paul, fresh off his primary victory in Kentucky, explained that he didn't support the Civil Rights Act of 1964. "I think it's a bad business decision to exclude anybody from your restaurant," he said in an interview, "but, at the same time, I do believe in private ownership." And if private lunch counter owners want to prevent blacks from eating there, that's their right. "This is the hard part about believing in freedom.""

He's basically saying that a business has a right to fail, which he believes one would do by excluding blacks.

How would you interpret what Rand Paul is trying to get across with his words?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Where exactly in there does it say part of the Chipotle experience is viewing the food prep? Until the entrée is prepped it's just a bunch of ingredients being used to make an entrée, but not a finished product. Once it's done it's an entrée and he can see its appearance all he wants. He can also customize the order via the ingredients list. I don't see anything in that statement that says viewing the ingredients over the counter and watching the food being made is part of the "Chipotle experience"

This. The court made the wrong ruling, using the correct methods, with the wrong interpretation.

The "Chipotle Experience" the are selling never states watching the food prep. End of discussion. Bad law, bad ruling, and the whole thing is stupid. Also, that plaintiff is just a vulture to our society and there needs to be laws against the shit he and those lawyers do.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
He's basically saying that a business has a right to fail, which he believes one would do by excluding blacks.

How would you interpret what Rand Paul is trying to get across with his words?

The premise of Paul's argument is free market fundamentalism. It's based on faith that free market mechanisms will right every wrong. Paul claims that a private business that excludes people of a certain ethnicity would go out of business. That is a faith based assertion. It's probably true in many areas of the country, but not necessarily true in others. It's akin to assuming that all corporations will put public safety before short term profit because the free market will penalize them if they do not.

- wolf

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
This. The court made the wrong ruling, using the correct methods, with the wrong interpretation.

The "Chipotle Experience" the are selling never states watching the food prep. End of discussion. Bad law, bad ruling, and the whole thing is stupid. Also, that plaintiff is just a vulture to our society and there needs to be laws against the shit he and those lawyers do.

The trouble is more with the state regulations than with the ADA. The ADA itself only mandates reasonable accomodations. It is the states that impose specific regulations on everything from counter height to doorway width. The second problem is allowing recovery of attorney's fees if the plaintiff can show even a single code violation. That needs to be toned way down. If the plaintiff's attorneys got flat, low fees for these kinds of cases, the incentive to manufacture and pursue them would be greatly diminished.

- wolf

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Because a 45-degree angle mirror above the prep counter wouldn't do the trick ?

A mirror mounted above the counter would require the wheel chair bound client to look up, putting "an uncomfortable strain" on his neck and they would still sue. /sarcasm

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sadly, in spite of (or because of) the ADA's good intentions, there's an entire "cottage industry" of attornies whose entire practice is based on going around and finding minor violations of the ADA laws and threatening to sue a small business over the violations...and hoping the business will instead, settle out of court.

As a "handicapped" person, I'm all for requiring businesses to make their establishments accessible for those who aren't capable of doing so in the "normal way," but the lawyers have turned what should be a good law into an abomination...solely for their own monetary gains.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Chipotle should just board up all the windows to the kitchen. That way NOBODY sees the food. There you go, EQUAL. I hate this f'in law.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
This ADA law is garbage, and needs to be reformed. Don't forget who pushed for this law, Republican Bob Dole, so shut up about liberals. And Chipotle is crappy factory food, if you can't find a better burrito than this in California you aren't even trying.

Disability means you are dis-abled, you can't do everything an able bodied person can do. Trying to legislate everyone to be equal is not possible in this case.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Chipotle should just board up all the windows to the kitchen. That way NOBODY sees the food. There you go, EQUAL. I hate this f'in law.

That may work for you but I dont care for it. I like the handful of places that do let me see. It helps keep them clean. Way too many stories of dirty stuff going on in the back when they think no one knows. They need healthy paranoia to keep them on their toes.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This ADA law is garbage, and needs to be reformed. Don't forget who pushed for this law, Republican Bob Dole, so shut up about liberals. And Chipotle is crappy factory food, if you can't find a better burrito than this in California you aren't even trying.

Disability means you are dis-abled, you can't do everything an able bodied person can do. Trying to legislate everyone to be equal is not possible in this case.

Why do you hate the disabled so much? You liberals and your hatred are disgusting.