Discussion Is this still the law in Kentucky?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Back in 2008 the state of Kentucky pass a state Homeland Security law requiring residents to assert that the public safety of their state is dependent on “Almighty God” or face criminal charges, including up to 12 months in jail.
https://www.atheists.org/2012/11/acknowledge-almighty-god-or-go-directly-to-jail/

Is this law still in effect or has been repealed/declared unconstitutional since then? Strange but from a brief Yahoo search, all I'm getting is news articles from 2012/2013. Maybe use a different search engine instead?

Does anyone know the name of the statue?

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Back in 2008 the state of Kentucky pass a state Homeland Security law requiring residents to assert that the public safety of their state is dependent on “Almighty God” or face criminal charges, including up to 12 months in jail.
https://www.atheists.org/2012/11/acknowledge-almighty-god-or-go-directly-to-jail/

Is this law still in effect or has been repealed/declared unconstitutional since then? Strange but from a brief Yahoo search, all I'm getting is news articles from 2012/2013. Maybe use a different search engine instead?

Does anyone know the name of the statue?

Lived here since 2007. Never heard of such a thing.
Mid you I visit about 25-40 residents a week from all ends of the spectrum. First I've heard of this.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
When and where was I supposed to "assert that the public safety is dependent on “Almighty God”?

- I closed on my home in the Commonwealth of Kentucky 11/2018/. I signed no such affirmation
- I registered my motor vehicle, got a Commonwealth of Kentucky ID, and registered to vote shortly thereafter. No affirmation in either case.
-I VOTED in the mid term election. Nope. No affirmation.

Dunno if you're just trolling...

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
KRS 39A.285

Tom Riner, a Democrat, was the main sponsor of the bill.
Thanks. Hopefully I can found out if this law is still effect or has been declared unconstitutional. Of course it could that the the State Homeland Security didn't bother to enforce this knowing all the issues doing so would cause.

Maybe they were embarrassed?

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks. Hopefully I can found out if this law is still effect or has been declared unconstitutional. Of course it could that the the State Homeland Security didn't bother to enforce this knowing all the issues doing so would cause.

Maybe they were embarrassed?
I suggest you read the law and see who it applies to.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It is still law and was challenged by atheists but the judge found that they didn't have standing. No further challenges yet.

Nov 25, 2013
This appears to be the 'thing'. I say 'thing' because when I read it I don't understand what it actually does. It's apparently nothing more than some kind of 'official' acknowledgement of the Christian god.

This is what you guys elect your govt's to do? Weird country.

"The General Assembly hereby finds that:

(1) No government by itself can guarantee perfect security from acts of war or terrorism. (2) The security and well-being of the public depend not just on government, but rest in large measure upon individual citizens of the Commonwealth and their level of understanding, preparation, and vigilance. (3) The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God as set forth in the public speeches and proclamations of American Presidents, including Abraham Lincoln's historic March 30, 1863, Presidential Proclamation urging Americans to pray and fast during one of the most dangerous hours in American history, and the text of President John F. Kennedy's November 22, 1963, national security speech which concluded: "For as was written long ago: 'Except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.' "
KRS 39A.285

Effective:March 28, 2002 Created 2002, Ky. Acts ch. 82, sec. 2, effective March 28, 2002."

https://casetext.com/statute/kentuc...-programs/section-39a285-legislative-findings

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The law can be summarized being

The text of KRS 39A.285, styled Legislative Findings, provides:

The General Assembly hereby finds that:

(1) No government by itself can guarantee perfect security from acts of war or terrorism.

This states that the Government of Kentucky, being comprised of religious dickholes are incompetent and due to their reliance on ancient comic books cannot be trusted to protect anyone.

(2) The security and well-being of the public depend not just on government, but rest in large measure upon individual citizens of the Commonwealth and their level of understanding, preparation, and vigilance.
The government of Kentucky is so batshit stupid, that people are on their own and due to the Kentucky education system...probably clueless.

(3) The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God as set forth in the public speeches and proclamations of American Presidents, including Abraham Lincoln's historic March 30, 1863, Presidential Proclamation urging Americans to pray and fast during one of the most dangerous hours in American history, and the text of President John F. Kennedy's November 22, 1963, national security speech which concluded: “For as was written long ago: ‘Except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.’ “

The Kentucky legislature finds that that the anus loving Spaghetti monster of the 3rd realm, having been mentioned in quotes from some shit they saw on commemorative plates on QVC is what you should refer to when you look up your own ass for safety due to the fact that the Government of Kentucky, being the shitstain of Americas bleeding anus is too busy quoting ancient comic books to be bothered helping people who may be homosexual or perhaps jews. Or maybe women with "science degrees".

KRS 39G.010(2)(a) requires the executive director of the KOHS to:

Publicize the findings of the General Assembly stressing the dependence on Almighty God as being vital to the security of the Commonwealth by including the provisions of KRS 39A.285(3) in its agency training and educational materials. The executive director shall also be responsible for prominently displaying a permanent plaque at the entrance to the state's Emergency Operations Center stating the text of KRS 39A.285(3)[.]

The law, which imp;lies that the Kentucky legislature is truly a bag of religious dickholes, dictates that one person publish the opinion of said elected group of bagged dickholes on State letterhead and a plaque. That person being the Director of the Kentucky office of Homeland security.

The citizens of Kentucky are not bound by law to say or believe anything. They simply are responsible for paying for all this BS.

You're welcome

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Stupid, dumb shit law passed by a stupid, dumb shit legislator.

Effectively meaningless, passed to make some stupid point that no one, then or now, cares about.

The same reason cannabis is still Federally prohibited, even though it is, literally, medicine.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I live in Fayette county (Lexington). Here was our response:

dollar-bill-1565817584.jpg

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There are three ways to react to this. One is to approve and have no idea as to why one is correct. The second is to disapprove because those who approve have no idea as to why they are correct. The third, less well understood, is to be completely indifferent to this by living its truth.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Damn sick and tired of the America-hating, Russia-loving, Bible-thumping Devil-worshipping religulous nutcases spreading their shit all over my secular government and in my face. What the hell purpose does it serve to pass a law like that?

The same with people who glow red and apoplectic about Kaepernick taking a knee at the national anthem. Some people have so much shit between their ears, they only have room for these meaningless indignations.