Is this some sort of scam

Ferrari355

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
I sold something on a website and got the payment, the listing shows that it's no longer available. Today out of the blue I get a money order from a random person for it. This other person never even contacted me about the item so I don't know how they got my address and the money order isn't filled out correctly. It just has my first initial and last name and not my address so I probably can't cash or deposit it. The only thing I can think of is they know it sold, sent the incorrectly filled out money that I may not be able to cash in the hopes I'll mail them a money order or check for a refund and get free money.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I sold something on a website and got the payment, the listing shows that it's no longer available. Today out of the blue I get a money order from a random person for it. This other person never even contacted me about the item so I don't know how they got my address and the money order isn't filled out correctly. It just has my first initial and last name and not my address so I probably can't cash or deposit it. The only thing I can think of is they know it sold, sent the incorrectly filled out money that I may not be able to cash in the hopes I'll mail them a money order or check for a refund and get free money.

Where is this "money-order" from exactly?

If it's local or the USPS go there and try cashing it.

Ferrari355

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
Pretty sure that money order you received is fake.

It probably is but I still don't understand how they got my address because it's only available to buyers. It was already sold before they mailed the money order so they shouldn't have been able to see my address on the site.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
It probably is but I still don't understand how they got my address because it's only available to buyers. It was already sold before they mailed the money order so they shouldn't have been able to see my address on the site.
It's possible also that yours or the buyer's email account is compromised?

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Also possible that the website you were selling on was slow taking the post down.