Is This Sign Of A Failing Video Card?

sblake

Jun 28, 2001
My P5N-E SLI-based PC was solid for over six months. Now when I power it on it the first time in the morning, the fans come on with nothing on the screen.
If I hold the power button in and let it shut down I can get it to boot but I get a "Fail to Boot" error. I press F1 and it boots up to windows and I don't have a problem until the next morning. I haven't made any changes to hardware or system. Is this a sign of a failing video card?

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Why are you posting this question again? Your first thread in the PSU section is fine and should get more responces as the day goes on.

So like i said in the other thread, change out the video card if possible and see if that helps. Thats the only way you will rule out the video card. But its unlikely to be a PSU issue. Worst case is the motherboard is having issues.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Are you overclocking?

I doubt it's the video card. Probably something to do with your mobo.

OCChronic

May 7, 2008
Actually, the PSU is the most likely to be mis-behaving.

If it's on the edge of failing, then it will have trouble powering up everything at once when cold or sitting for awhile. The second time you power up, the capacitors in all of the hardware are already storing juice from the first time you power on and the PSU doesn't have to supply as much current to the various componenets. If it isn't PSU, then the caps in your mainboard are going and you'll have to RMA it or replace it. Either way, your other components may be at risk until you find the problem and fix it. I wouldn't ignore it if I were you.

Good luck!! =)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: OCChronic
Actually, the PSU is the most likely to be mis-behaving.

If it's on the edge of failing, then it will have trouble powering up everything at once when cold or sitting for awhile. The second time you power up, the capacitors in all of the hardware are already storing juice from the first time you power on and the PSU doesn't have to supply as much current to the various componenets. If it isn't PSU, then the caps in your mainboard are going and you'll have to RMA it or replace it. Either way, your other components may be at risk until you find the problem and fix it. I wouldn't ignore it if I were you.

Good luck!! =)

Yes, try another PSU.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Are you getting any post beeps on that first bootup attempt? A good post is a single short beep. Sometimes a poor ground can cause this issue. Check to see if all the screws holding the motherboard to the case are snug.
Reconnect all power connectors (20-24 pin ATX connector and 4 pin auxilliary connector). Also, check your power saver settings in Windows and BIOS. Make sure your computer is truly shutting off and not going into hibernation/standby. Because some PC's have trouble waking up after going into these modes. Just for a goof, turn off any and all power saving options in the BIOS and Windows Control Panel.

Give us a shout back after you've checked it all out.

Keys

sblake

Jun 28, 2001
Problem Fixed

Changed Video Cards
Reinstalled Video Drivers
Changed Power Supplies

Finally changed memory and that corrected the problem. I had previously run Memtest86 but it showed no errors. Apparently there was not enough voltage to post but enough once it was running. It appears to be fixed now.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: sblake
Problem Fixed

Changed Video Cards
Reinstalled Video Drivers
Changed Power Supplies

Finally changed memory and that corrected the problem. I had previously run Memtest86 but it showed no errors. Apparently there was not enough voltage to post but enough once it was running. It appears to be fixed now.

Very unusual. Was it new memory or had been in the machine all along?

sblake

Jun 28, 2001
It was new memory. I took the old out and installed the new and that seemed to solve the problem.