Is this Power Supply enough

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
Originally posted by: orangat
What caps does the Enhance use? Is Enhance typically better than Fortrons or is it just that model?

I have blocked PMs from you orangat and this is my last responce to you on this forum,
quote me or not, this is the last time. You seem to be a really stupid troll, that judges
kindness for weakness.
You are an idiot to be ignored..OK.
...Galvanized

I've never sent you a single PM ever on this forum or others or made any ad hominem remarks. You started it and continue to look churlish. Do as you will.

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: jonnyGURU
IMHO, An Enhance is better than the same price FSP.

And the "AX" part number FSP's are "price leaders." People recommend the AX models based on the rep of the FSP and FX models, but the quality in construction and performance are night and day. It's like the difference between an Ultra V-Series and X-Finity (to use an analogy that people won't pick on me for.)

Enhances are typically all Teapo. The 400W I have is all Teapo as are the Silverstone's I have that are built by Enhance.

The reason I asked was because I was curious if that Enhance model is actually an oem for a more expensive relabeled psu. If its teapo then it should be alright. It doesn't have the reputation of Japanese caps but PCP&C seems to use it in all(?) their models along with other good brands.

Agreed on AX but some AX models seem a little too expensive (and well regarded) to be price leaders like the bluestorm AX500.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999

And the "AX" part number FSP's are "price leaders." People recommend the AX models based on the rep of the FSP and FX models, but the quality in construction and performance are night and day. It's like the difference between an Ultra V-Series and X-Finity (to use an analogy that people won't pick on me for.)

Enhances are typically all Teapo. The 400W I have is all Teapo as are the Silverstone's I have that are built by Enhance.

The reason I asked was because I was curious if that Enhance model is actually an oem for a more expensive relabeled psu. If its teapo then it should be alright. It doesn't have the reputation of Japanese caps but PCP&C seems to use it in all(?) their models along with other good brands.

Agreed on AX but some AX models seem a little too expensive (and well regarded) to be price leaders like the bluestorm AX500.

Enhance is like SevenTeam. Their product is peppered about the industry.

As for Teapo caps, yes PCP&C uses them and, yes they've been known to fail on motherboards. But the duty of caps on motherboards and caps in PSU's are completely differernt, so I feel the "concern" over the use of Teapos in power supplies is unwarranted.

lamere

Jul 22, 2006
Originally posted by: StevenNevets
ah, whatever.....

Maybe I'll just go back to this plan
Much cheaper and atleast I don't need to worry about if everything is good enough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

Don't say I didn't warn you - if you pay cheap you get cheap in return. It's better to buy something worthy than take chances with cheaper produts and then spend more $$ later replacing them....

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004

As for Teapo caps, yes PCP&C uses them and, yes they've been known to fail on motherboards. But the duty of caps on motherboards and caps in PSU's are completely differernt, so I feel the "concern" over the use of Teapos in power supplies is unwarranted.

I'd be surprised if the uses are completely different. What is it exactly that makes Teapo acceptable on psus but not mbs? Something to do with the electrolyte?
Does it apply to OST which isn't considered a good brandname as well?

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'd be surprised if the uses are completely different. What is it exactly that makes Teapo acceptable on psus but not mbs? Something to do with the electrolyte?

I'm not an expert here and am still learning so somebody correct me if I'm wrong but...

Completely different no, but different non the less. Caps found on motherboards should be low ESR (harder to find & more expensive), at least those powering the CPU. As far as I know caps used in PSUs are more of general purpose cap (easier to find & cheaper).

OST is probably middle ground in the cap quality.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999

It's always been my understanding that it's an apples and oranges comparison. And fortunately, we have a friend at BadCaps (forgive me, LinuxGuru for dragging you into this) that was nice enough to explain it:

In a PSU, the secondary caps are subject to surge currents at a couple of 100 KHz at most. On a mobo, the VRM O/P caps are subject to surge currents at several 100 *MHz* from the CPU - which are not always fully bypassed by the SMD ceramics on the CPU PGA carrier or the mobo.

Assuming that each cycle causes a small amount of irreversible electrolytic chemical change in the capacitor, it is reasonable to assume that VHF stress on the cap is worse than LF stress, other things being equal.

Now.. How did we get so far off topic from the OP's original question? Oh yeah.. that's right...

StevenNevets

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: lamere
ah, whatever.....

Much cheaper and atleast I don't need to worry about if everything is good enough

Don't say I didn't warn you - if you pay cheap you get cheap in return. It's better to buy something worthy than take chances with cheaper produts and then spend more $$ later replacing them....
it should have enough power, the specs seem good to me
and it's one of the few 5-star power supplies (I get the picture theres not many problems(

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: lamere
ah, whatever.....

it should have enough power, the specs seem good to me
and it's one of the few 5-star power supplies (I get the picture theres not many problems(

Others have given you suggestions for a _better_ psu for almost the same price.