Is this possible?

Horsepower

Oct 9, 1999
I am planning my next rig, and wonder if I can accomplish this. Currently, I have 2 removeable racks with no internal hard drive. I boot to several OSes on the primary rack. I am interested in the 875 chipset with serial ATA. Could I have one rack be serial ATA and the other other IDE? Then whatever drive is connected will be the boot drive based on the boot order? I have contacted Intel, and they referred me to the same document I already read. I want SATA for speed not raid. Thanks for any thoughts.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I see now. You want one receiver, but two different types of drive cartridges that both fit the same receiver, is that the plan? Or did you mean two receiver/cartridge units, one completely SATA and one completely IDE?

I don't see any reason why the fundamental idea won't work. The motherboard would just go down the list of drive controllers until it found one that had a bootable drive. So it boils down to finding either a frame that can take both SATA and IDE cartridges, or else simply finding an SATA-type rack, depending on which interpretation is correct.

If I spot a frame that can handle two flavors of cartridges I'll make sure to post it.

buleyb

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2002
well most of these frames seem to run off centronics connectors between frame and cartride, and they have parallel IDE ports on the back of the frame. If I understand what you want to do, you want to have one of your removable drives be SATA for speed, and the other parallel because thats what you have?

If this is true, then I would agree with mech about find a SATA capable frame/cartridge. A SATA converter should work, but you won't get the speed.

And honestly, I don't see you having a big speed up with the SATA anyway, not enough to make this worth it.

Maybe you could clarify what you are trying to do?

Horsepower

Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I am thinking about speed. I would want one rack to be SATA and the other to be IDE. That way IF a drive is in one rack OR the other it will go through the boot order and find whichever one has a drive in it.