Is this now the best bang for the buck for DC these days?

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Dasm it LOL

soon my precious....soon :p

So is that a yes?
It isn't the fastest out there but it's half the price of the AMD dual core.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
It would look so good next to my xeons.

I want the new xeons coming out too though, but I will have to work for it myself this time OuCH!!!!

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Freewolf
Dasm it LOL

So is that a yes?
Don't forget that you'll need an i945\955 motherboard and DDR2 RAM, plus a PCIe video card. You could always pick up a Socket 939 nForce3 Ultra board for an AMD X2 and reuse your old DDR RAM and AGP video card.

That said, once the AMD X2s get around $300-350 I'm jumping on one as long as they overclock relatively well. I'll be reusing my Epox 9NDA3+ and AGP 6800GT that I bought in March and last August respectively. Who knows when I bought my 1GB of RAM :p

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: MDE
Dasm it LOL

So is that a yes?
Don't forget that you'll need an i945\955 motherboard and DDR2 RAM, plus a PCIe video card. You could always pick up a Socket 939 nForce3 Ultra board for an AMD X2 and reuse your old DDR RAM and AGP video card.

That said, once the AMD X2s get around $300-350 I'm jumping on one as long as they overclock relatively well. I'll be reusing my Epox 9NDA3+ and AGP 6800GT that I bought in March and last August respectively. Who knows when I bought my 1GB of RAM :p
LOL true but I like to upgrade :p

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: MDE
Dasm it LOL

So is that a yes?

LOL true but I like to upgrade :p

So do I but I hate gutting my entire system at once.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I hear you but an upgrade in dc to me means a new system, how else can I get a fleet going to catch up to the leaders lol

hmmm... this xeon needs upgrading

ought to be about a cool 1000.00 to fix that ;)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I had a once-in-a-long-time chance to upgrade (in other words, graduation gift from grandparents to purchase a computer for college), so I went straight for the X2 4400+ and have absolutely no regrets, whatsoever. :p

In my humble opinion, one would be hard pressed to do a whole lot better for DC in a single workstation, unless one went with dual dual core Opterons (I said workstation so quad dual core Opteron servers don't count). Affordable X2's are coming, but if you need dual core smoothness right now on a budget price, and you're already in the Intel game with DDR2 et. al. on hand, then the Pentium D is a viable option.

With that said, the only thing I plan on upgrading any time soon would be my disk subsystem. I'm waiting for Serially Attached SCSI to come out before I get anything, and I'm hoping for 20kRPM drives to come out so I can take my system disk to new heights of performance. :evil: :laugh:

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Nice system Josh :p

I love scsi raid, but am now doing raid 1 on 2 x15 seagates :p

gotta love them raptorsd too but dont hold a candle to scsi :p

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I love mine.
I get about 22 - 24 seti1 WU's a day with it. I'm happy :D
Oh, and it's great for video rendering and all that regular computer work stuff ;)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Wiz
I love mine.
I get about 22 - 24 seti1 WU's a day with it. I'm happy :D
Oh, and it's great for video rendering and all that regular computer work stuff ;)
I can't remember... do you have dual Xeons, or did you get a dual core CPU? I think Xeons are just wonderful also (as are Opterons), but they were too expensive for my budget.

<-- can't wait for dual-socket quad core goodness coming next year, even though he knows that he'll never be able to afford one until it's for sale dusty and well-used on ebay seven years later ;)

Aug 27, 2002
just remember
NForce4 SLI beware!
Great chip, but do not try and use it with any nForce4SLI motherboard, you can only use it in single core mode.

bwahahhahaha

I'd think a 3.2Ghz p4 (single core) with HT would be just as effective. and a lot cheaper.