Is this normal on the 8th gen Accord?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gus6464, Feb 13, 2013.

1. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

My wife got a new 2012 Accord in Aug of last year and I was wondering if this is normal for the 5 speed auto transmission.

Whenever the car is shifted from R to D the tranny does a little click sound that you can feel as well. It doesn't sound or feel like the car is falling apart but I haven't encountered a click like that before on any other car I've owned. Should I take it in to the dealer or is this normal for the Honda auto trans?

2. Jimzz

Jimzz Diamond Member

Hard to say. Best thing to do is give it a little more time and next time you are near a dealer ask to sit in another Accord and see if it does the same while they look yours over.

3. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

My 7th Gen Civic did that all the time. At first I thought it was a mount that was broken, but sure enough a new one at the dealership did the same thing. Not sure if your car shares anything with the Civic platform though.

4. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

Maybe it's the same tranny on both?

5. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

That's normal on the 4 cylinder transmissions. I forgot what the click actually does, but it happens on my 04 Accord, my sister's 04 Acc, and my dad's 12.

6. CraigRT

CraigRT Lifer

I had a click in my axle when changing directions (forwards or reverse) on my Civic.
    Sounds similar to what you describe. I had the axle replaced under warranty and it was gone. Guy said he'd never seen an axle have to be replaced on a new car. (it only had like 20k miles on it at the time)

7. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Yep. This is what I had. My motor mounts did break after about 2000 miles.

8. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

I will second (or third or whatever number) it likely being in the axle.

I've experienced factory axle click issues. Volvo had them because they used little weak-ass bolts to secure them (not external nuts). The TSB involved installing stronger bolts at a higher torque with, IIRC, a rubber washer underneath.

The problem is typically because the axle is simply not quite seated all the way, and reversing the direction of applied torque causes a click due to a miniscule amount of play between the external splines on the axle and the internal splines on the hub.

9. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

Well I made an appointment at the Honda dealer to get it checked out tomorrow. Hopefully they won't just say it's a normal thing.

10. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

I would find it somewhat unlikely that they would do anything unless a TSB has addressed it. Did the service advisor mention having seen that problem?

Or did you have to talk to some kind of scheduling secretary? I hate that crap.

In addition to axles, it's also possible that there is a bad torque mount on the engine. Or given the car's age...a loose one. When you switch between D/R, the whole engine/trans assembly wants to kick one way or the other, and a torque mount (only deals with that sideways force on the engine/trans; different from the load-bearing mounts) that is not properly secured to the frame (or engine/trans) could cause that noise.

How loud is it?

11. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

I spoke to a scheduling person. The click is pretty loud IMO and you can definitely feel it too.

12. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

You generally can't feel anything axle-related. It's just noise.

...someone probably forgot to tighten something at the factory, TBQH.

If it's enough that you can feel the click (I'd graduate it to a 'clank' at that point), I'd pursue this until they fix it.

13. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

Get it checked. That doesn't sound right. Might be fluid, or bushings or little parts of the guy who fell in during assembly.

14. DaTT

DaTT Lifer

LOL, probably just the shifter sitting into the detent where D is...j/k

Keep us updated though. I am curious as to what it is.

15. evident

evident Lifer

16. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

I'd be willing to bet the dealership tells him it's normal - as evidenced by evident's post. I asked the dealer back when I first bought it (brought it in for a TSB) and they said it was normal - even test drove another Accord and it did it. There was a "logical" reason for the click, something about a safety feature IIRC.

17. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

That post isn't describing R to D or vice versa. They're saying they put it into gear and roll a few feet.

If it is actually normal, and not just being ignored because the dealer and/or manufacturer doesn't want to fix it, I would throw a guess out and say maybe it's the ABS running a self-test. (edit: the 'drive a few feet' variant, that is)

18. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

burb - he's not saying it's rolling: "Whenever the car is shifted from R to D the tranny does a little click sound that you can feel as well."

I know exactly the click he's talking about - it's in a non-moving, shifting when parked position. It's occurred as far back as at least my 7th gen Accord, and in his case, 8th gen. I can validate the issue on 3 separate Accords, even when brand new. I'd hope it's not an actual technical issue, as that would mean Honda hasn't done shit to fix it in 10 years.

19. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

Ok so I just got back from the dealer and they said that it is normal. He then proceeded to explain but I didn't really get it, but it has something to do with the brakes and the ABS system. The reason why it is louder in the morning is because the brakes are not warmed up. He did say Honda put out a TSB on it though because apparently a ton of people have brought in their cars asking about it. Car runs perfectly other than that so I figure I will just keep an eye on it.

On a side note got to drive the 2013 Accord and it is very nice. Much improved interior and I think Honda got the CVT right.

20. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

Better safe than sorry! :) Yea the '13 is a beaut. I'd like to trade in my 04 and get one but just don't want the car payment.