Is this movie WS or FS?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
widescreen

Any movie marked as wide screen kept in it's original aspect ratio. Sure, there are a few exceptions....but they are a very small percentage.

If you see "we're formatting this movie and removing/bastardizing the entire move for your viewing pleasure", then avoid it.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Format: AC-3, Anamorphic, Closed-captioned, Collector's Edition, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, Subtitled, THX, Widescreen, NTSC

Elderly Newt

May 23, 2005
well its definitely widescreen, but its wider than 16:9, so you'll have some black bars on the top and bottom.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Elderly Newt
well its definitely widescreen, but its wider than 16:9, so you'll have some black bars on the top and bottom.

SCREAM!!!!

You mean I have black bars!!!

Why are they cutting the movie out and adding the black bars. I HATE when they do that. I want the movie to fill my screen! I want my money back.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07

SCREAM!!!!

Why are they cutting the movie out and adding the black bars. I HATE when they do that. I want the movie to fill my screen! I want my money back.

You know, with the rising popularity of widescreen TVs and simple-minded people still getting annoyed by the black bars (of course the black or silver TV surrounding the entire picture doesn't bother them), I wonder if some day we'll see movies that are wider than 16:9 being offered in "16:9 Full Screen" versions that are pan and scan, but with only enough picture removed so it completely fills a 16:9 TV.

Elderly Newt

May 23, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07

SCREAM!!!!

Heh, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not...

but they dont cut out the movie; the bars are there because the tv needs to format the movie to your screen, and so rather than cutting off the edges in order to eliminate the black bars on top and bottom (you actually WOULD be losing parts if it did that), the tv fits it according to the width of the movie.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

You need only to read his first post in this thread to see that he was. ;)

Because some people actually want full screen movies. Most of these people go by the name "mom"

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

but they dont cut out the movie; the bars are there because the tv needs to format the movie to your screen, and so rather than cutting off the edges in order to eliminate the black bars on top and bottom (you actually WOULD be losing parts if it did that), the tv fits it according to the width of the movie.

Tap that meter. It's broken. ;)

I actually prefer 2.35:1.

But you have to understand the general populace. Toss in a 2.35:1 DVD and display it on a 4:3 display. Serious blackbarness. I can understand why people would be disatisfied.

I can guarantee you that less the 5% of the popluation actually understands aspect ratios.