Is this legit? "Intel Redline Core i5"

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
thats a scam please dont bid on that.

I just ran the same version of linx with the same ram and setting he used at 5.0ghz and scored 130.76 gflops to his 67 gflops

he is showing stock speed linx run

it took his system 43 seconds and mine only took 22 seconds to complete a pass at 5ghz

Last edited:

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
No this is just a normal Intel® Core™ i5-2500K. That he is making a bunch of overblown claims on.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
There's definitely no Redline i5-2500k. I don't think it's really a scam if the guy is legitimately binning processors to find ones that do 5GHz+ and selling those for an inflated price, but some of his information is wrong AFAIK. You definitely don't have the retail Intel warranty if you're running at 5GHz, and the item is obviously not new if it's been tested and benched at 5.2GHz. This particular auction is sketchy and I wouldn't buy it.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
There's definitely no Redline i5-2500k. I don't think it's really a scam if the guy is legitimately binning processors to find ones that do 5GHz+ and selling those for an inflated price, but some of his information is wrong AFAIK. You definitely don't have the retail Intel warranty if you're running at 5GHz, and the item is obviously not new if it's been tested and benched at 5.2GHz. This particular auction is sketchy and I wouldn't buy it.

How is it not a scam when he shows stabilty bench that is not running at 5ghz?

If his bench was at 130+gflops and only needed 1.37 volts to run that I would even bid on that chip.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
How is it not a scam when he shows stabilty bench that is not running at 5ghz?

If his bench was at 130+gflops and only needed 1.37 volts to run that I would even bid on that chip.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's not a scam to sell legitimately binned 2500k's that can reach 5GHz. If that was what this guy was doing, more power to him. However, he's calling them new, claiming they have Intel's warranty and apparently posting made up benchmarks. This guy is sketchy, and as I said I would stay away.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I must have a "redline" too. Sorry but anything that has been overclocked, the warranty is now void.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
He's using the old version without AVX support to test with most likely. AVX is the overclock stability killer as it requires higher vcore to stabalize it.

My 2700k most likely would run 4.8 @ 1.35v or so using a no AVX version for testing. Gotta juice her to around 1.40v otherwise.

Note:*LinX 0.6.4 does not have or support AVX unless your running win7 with sp1

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Someone should contact Anandtech, and get his listing pulled for VERO violations. Re-using that Anandtech.com graph without permission is a copyright violation.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
He's using the old version without AVX support to test with most likely. AVX is the overclock stability killer as it requires higher vcore to stabalize it.

My 2700k most likely would run 4.8 @ 1.35v or so using a no AVX version for testing. Gotta juice her to around 1.40v otherwise.

Note:*LinX 0.6.4 does not have or support AVX unless your running win7 with sp1

I used 0.6.4 and got 130gflops

Not sure if avx will gain 70gflops

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I used 0.6.4 and got 130gflops

Not sure if avx will gain 70gflops

Use IBT you'll see. Use older version without AVX support then try new one with AVX support. While at it monitor temps and vcore you'll notice AVX is the heavy weight champ :)

He makes no mention of OS in add. He might not be flat out scamming but is most likely stretching the truth as far as stability goes.

It is also possible to somewhat pass linX with lower vcore but gflops will suffer.

Last edited:

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Even if it is legit by a small chance, is it truly stable? Has the person run proper tests to check for 100% 24/7 system stability or is it just a suicide run to prove that it could hit 5GHz? Is it even running LinX at the 5GHz that the person claimed?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Someone should contact Anandtech, and get his listing pulled for VERO violations. Re-using that Anandtech.com graph without permission is a copyright violation.
The auction has been passed on to Anand.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
its a scam...

even at 5ghz, that cpu probably wont last very long...

Guaranteed Low Voltage: 4.8GHz+

^ even then it wont last very long.... he's asking for it, but he will probably run away after he sells the cpu.

He might even be a member here!

lolz...

I should put up Aigo Line Cpu's on Ebay... super quality cherry cpu's power level over 9000~ chuck norris approved.

Seriously tho... never trust anyone that says gaurentee'd X overclock... never sell your cpu gaurenting an overclock.
Reason is it will come back to bite you..

Even when my friends end up take me down cpu's not one of them can ever reproduce my overclock, because not one of them invested in the other couple thousands of dollars in the additional hardware nor has the cherry motherboard i am running.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
its a scam...

even at 5ghz, that cpu probably wont last very long...

Guaranteed Low Voltage: 4.8GHz+

^ even then it wont last very long.... he's asking for it, but he will probably run away after he sells the cpu.

lolz...

I should put up Aigo Line Cpu's on Ebay... super quality cherry cpu's power level over 9000~ chuck norris approved.

Seriously tho... never trust anyone that says gaurentee'd X overclock... never sell your cpu gaurenting an overclock.
Reason is it will come back to bite you..

Even when my friends end up take me down cpu's not one of them can ever reproduce my overclock, because not one of them invested in the other couple thousands of dollars in the additional hardware nor has the cherry motherboard i am running.

Yes, true because the person who purchased the CPU that did 5ghz might have an El cheapo motherboard with limited options or less power phases which could hurt the CPU's overclocking capabilities. Its always YMMV on CPUs.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
damn! no buy it now? :(

the most sad part about that auction.... it's got 29 bids on it right now!

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
However, he's calling them new, claiming they have Intel's warranty and apparently posting made up benchmarks.

Not to mention photoshopping the chip image, making up a fake Intel brand name, and having awesome feedback from four or five satisfied buyers who also happen to have CPUs for sale.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
He is making a killing on those CPUs. I really hope he gets stopped.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I saw this dudes Redline bs last month when I sold my 2700k. I was going to report to ebay but forgot. I googled to see wtf a Redline 2500k was, all that came back was his listing lol. Poor uninformed people buying those chips