Is this legal?

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
In my Library at my school, there is one of those fake Christmas trees near the window where people walk by in the hallway.

It is not however decorated, just a plain tree, I don't know if they plan on decorating it or not..

As I was walking by it one day, I said to my friend, "look, theres the tree I was telling you about, that's wrong, what if I was jewish."

Then some a-hole teacher that was previously walking in the other direction says "What if you were Jewish, we can't have a tree!?"

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Maybe it's wrong, maybe it's not. I agree with the teacher in saying that even though someone might be Jewish, Muslim of Hindi doesn't mean Christians can't have a damn tree. What I don't agree with it the way he said it.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: BouZouki
Originally posted by: Vegitto
If you plan to sue anyone for this, please end yourself.

I'm not gonna sue anyone, I just think it's wrong.

At least we understand how you came to this conclusion.... high school. You'll learn to worry about things that actually matter when you grow up.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
Originally posted by: mwmorph
Wow. If you are offended by a christmas tree....

It didn't personally offend me, I just thought to my self that it wasn't right.

Separation of church and state.

What about the people that attend the school with other religions, wouldn't they think it's wrong?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
As I was walking by it one day, I said to my friend, "look, theres the tree I was telling you about, that's wrong, what if I was jewish."

Then some a-hole teacher that was previously walking in the other direction says "What if you were Jewish, we can't have a tree!?"

I think you're the one being an asshole here. It's a tree. As long as they don't make you sing along before the classes I don't see anything wrong.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004

What about the people that attend the school with other religions.

I'm as liberal as they come with the whole seperation of church and state thing but damn, a christmas tree is pretty much non denominational. Christmas nowadays has lost basically all pretense of religion. putting up a christmas tree is a lot like putting up a flag for the 4th of july. My parents are agnostic and they are more excited than I am about putting up a christmas tree every year than I am and I'm protestant.

Christmas is a non denominational holiday. Almost all of my muslium/hindu/jew/atheist/agnostic friends celebrate christmas also to some extent.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

What about the people that attend the school with other religions, wouldn't they think it's wrong?

Christmas is barely a religious holiday, and a christmas tree is not a religious symbol.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
Last 2 posts are all I needed to know, the rest we just a bunch of flames.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

What about Ramadan? Should Muslim students participating in Ramadan be forced to eat because you don't want people to practice religion in school? (Okay, Ramadan and a Christmas tree are not the same, but they're both displays of religiousness's.)

chrisrod01

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
My highschool does the same thing every years but the purpose of it is to hang angels on the christmas which represents orphan children so you can pick one up and send in a present to the orphan

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
In my Library at my school, there is one of those fake Christmas trees near the window where people walk by in the hallway.

It is not however decorated, just a plain tree, I don't know if they plan on decorating it or not..

you REALLY need to get a life.

SO what if you were Jewish? If you know anything about the culture, you would know that they are some of the most tolerant in this country and most of them would not bat an eye at something so trivial.

If this is all you have to contemplate in your life, I suggest you put your time to a more productive use such as feeding the hungry or clothing the poor...that is what this season is about, not arguing the seperation of church and state.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Why on earth would you think it's against the law? Are you sure you're in high school and not in middle school??

ahhh, I see that someone explained it to you above.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Originally posted by: Vegitto
If you plan to sue anyone for this, please end yourself.

I'm not gonna sue anyone, I just think it's wrong.

Punch yourself in the face

:thumbsup:

Hell, I'm an Atheist and that wouldn't even come close to offending me.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Oh no! I just realized that one of the 10 commandments is "thou shalt not kill"... And, there's a law against murder. Perhaps the law should be repealed - separation of church and state says that we can't have anything that is even remotely related to a religious belief in any public place. /sarcasm