is this legal??

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
a hypothetical situation:

I own both company A and B..

company B uses product and services from company A, but since I own company A, I give company B a very low price for the product and service..

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
umm for some reason i think that is illegal, well do you do any gov't contract jobs???

Dogg

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
How could that be illegal? If it was then you'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul, essentially.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: PunDogg
umm for some reason i think that is illegal, well do you do any gov't contract jobs???

Dogg

why would it be illegal??

is there a law against special pricing??

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: KingNothing
How could that be illegal? If it was then you'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul, essentially.

I am asking because I want to know if there is a pricing law... the one that states u have to give the same price for everyone...

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
As far as I know, you can price the company right out of business.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
It is not illegal that I'm aware of. You can do any sort of intercompany transaction you want. Just report it as so.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: XZeroII
I don't think there is a problem unless you sell it for a loss.

there would be a problem if I sell it at a loss??? why???

JustinSampson

Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: z0mb13

You might be able to get a tax deduction if you sold it at a loss... I'm not sure what your business does or where you are, so it's hard to say.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
well, as you've explained it, there's no problem at all. but you're speaking in very general terms. if, for example you own Internet Explorer, Inc. and Microsoft, Inc. and you sell Internet Explorer, Inc. at an extremely low cost (perhaps even at a loss) and use Microsoft's market spread as a means of invading the market, then yes - it's illegal. you would be called out on anti-competitve practices. can you say, "antitrust"?

=|

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

I believe there is a law against selling products at a loss. It may only apply to trying to undercut a competitor, but you should do some research on it.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

I believe there is a law against selling products at a loss. It may only apply to trying to undercut a competitor, but you should do some research on it.
well selling products at a loss isn't illegal per se. it usually has to be combined with other anti competitive practices, but the deciding factor is really your intention. are you selling at a loss simply to establish a monopolistic situation? remember microsoft sells the xbox at a loss per each unit, but isn't being called out on illegal business practices. (jeez, i think i need to lay off the microsoft examples.)

=|

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you own 100% of each company maybe. If anyone else owns even 0.001% it could be seen as embezzlement.

If you are a contractor receiving government money there are likely to be regulations on how you subcontract.

If either company is funded with political contributions or is tax-exempt, more regulations apply.

Or if this is done as a tax sheltering scheme, IRSalarity may ensue.

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
but you own both companies... so basically you are paying yourself for your own product....

why not just merge the companies? - not necessarily merge brand names, just make into 1 company

i dont think it's illegal unless there are other people involved, then you would have to get their approval of course

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: KingNothing

I am asking because I want to know if there is a pricing law... the one that states u have to give the same price for everyone...

uhm no, what about employee discounts? negotiating a car price? hmm?