Is this Legal? University parking officials allowed to break into cars to search?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
You have no rights in schools. Gov knows best, haven't you learned that yet? Also, when your kids are in school, they're not your kids during school hours.

Yeah, very likely they were significantly in the wrong (illegal search and seizure, along with vandalism/destruction of property and possibly breaking and entering), but it is also very likely that if you inflict legal pain on the school, they will inflict academic pain on you. I guess it is your choice.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: Skoorb
You have no rights in schools. Gov knows best, haven't you learned that yet? Also, when your kids are in school, they're not your kids during school hours.

University meter maids are not government officials. Students of college are not "kids". Generic rant doesn't apply here.

(assuming a state university)

University public safety are government officials (state government officials). In the state that I went to school in, they actually had the same jurisdiction as the state police. They actually had more jurisdiction than the local city cops. Think about that for a minute.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Legendary
I would check your parking contract, if you haven't given your rights away then there they are most likely not allowed to break in.

But if your friend had a forgery he most likely didn't sign the contract, so I would say breaking into his car would be a violation of some law.

(not a lawyer)

If he had a forged pass, he very likely didn't sign a parking contract.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Wow, he'd be better off just using an old permit, and kinda obfuscate it so it's hard to tell at a distance (lots of people did this). Just use one of those sun shades in the window. These people usually didn't get many tickets, usually less than the cost of purchasing a permit.

AzNKiD

Apr 1, 2002
about 4 years ago, when i was going to school, the campus police broke in to my car as well to take my parking permit. some stupid cvnt reported her permit lost, and she "guessed" her permit ID which happens to match mines. they used a slim jim device to unlock my car from passenger side and took my permit. i was freaken pissed off when i went back to my car with ticket about using stolen permit and couldnt believe they went in to take my permit. anyways, i was lucky i kept my recipt, i show them my parking payment recipt with the serial number, and they said sorry and drop the tix. but still, the idiot cop screw up the lock mech on my passenger door, they told me to get two estamte from repair shops and file a complaint to sacramento, ca. they said itll probably take 3~5 months to get a answer, so i said fvck it, and spent a weekend to open the door panels and repair it myself, one of the lock bar was pushed off. wasted a hour to fix it myself instead.

anyways, it was a cal state system, and after this innocent, the school started to ask for student id to pair it up with new parking permits to avoid my crap agian.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: AzNKiD
about 4 years ago, when i was going to school, the campus police broke in to my car as well to take my parking permit. some stupid cvnt reported her permit lost, and she "guessed" her permit ID which happens to match mines. they used a slim jim device to unlock my car from passenger side and took my permit. i was freaken pissed off when i went back to my car with ticket about using stolen permit and couldnt believe they went in to take my permit. anyways, i was lucky i kept my recipt, i show them my parking payment recipt with the serial number, and they said sorry and drop the tix. but still, the idiot cop screw up the lock mech on my passenger door, they told me to get two estamte from repair shops and file a complaint to sacramento, ca. they said itll probably take 3~5 months to get a answer, so i said fvck it, and spent a weekend to open the door panels and repair it myself, one of the lock bar was pushed off. wasted a hour to fix it myself instead.

anyways, it was a cal state system, and after this innocent, the school started to ask for student id to pair it up with new parking permits to avoid my crap agian.

Wow. I went to a tiny school in the cornfields of Indiana, and even they were smart enough to keep track of who had what parking permit and what car it was registered to (they were also tamper-proof stickers, so stealing a permit wouldn't work anyway).