Is this i5 3750k a little too hot for idle/load temperatures?

dahhbears!

Jun 10, 2012
Hey everyone,

I just finished building my i5 3750k rig with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and I get idle temperatures of around 33 degrees Celsius but for some reason one or two cores are usually 7 degrees warmer than the other two. Is that normal? I have tried reapplying arctic silver 5 twice now and this seems to be the average temperature according to HW Monitor, RealTemp and CoreTemp.

My load temperatures are usually in the low-mid 60's with two cores while the last two are in the high 60's-low 70's. Again, is this normal/average temperatures?

I have used Intel Burn Test and Prime 95.

Everything is at stock, nothing has been overclocked. I'm tempted to overclock but if these temperatures are not normal, maybe I shouldn't risk it? Should I return the processor for another one if these temperatures are not ideal as well?

Thanks!

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
Hey everyone,

I just finished building my i5 3750k rig with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and I get idle temperatures of around 33 degrees Celsius but for some reason one or two cores are usually 7 degrees warmer than the other two. Is that normal? I have tried reapplying arctic silver 5 twice now and this seems to be the average temperature according to HW Monitor, RealTemp and CoreTemp.

My load temperatures are usually in the low-mid 60's with two cores while the last two are in the high 60's-low 70's. Again, is this normal/average temperatures?

Everything is at stock, nothing has been overclocked. I'm tempted to overclock but if these temperatures are not normal, maybe I shouldn't risk it? Should I return the processor for another one if these temperatures are not ideal as well?

Thanks!

Differing temps on differing cores is normal. Don't worry about it unless your PC is on fire.

dahhbears!

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks.

But are the temperatures that I get on this set-up the normal/average for everyone else?

Stock, not overclocked.

By the way, my case is a re-branded Lian Li, full tower, I think...two top fans, push/pull configuration for the Hyper 212 EVO.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Perfectly normal. Core 1 and Core 2 would usually be slightly higher than Core 0 or Core 3 as they are in the middle. Idle temps are fine but your ambient temps are a little bit high which would have an effect to your idle and load temps.

I wouldn't usually consider overclocking much if you're using a CM Hyper212 Evo. You got what you paid for, it is cheap, it ain't a Noctua NH-D14 and definitely doesn't perform like one either. You can risk it a little by pushing it till it reaches mid 80's or get a better heatsink which gives you better temps and overclocking headroom.

dahhbears!

Jun 10, 2012
Howcome I see great reviews about people saying they get 30C idle at a 4.0-4.4 overclock and loads in the 60s as well when I get those temperatures stock? Just wonderkng and thanks again for all the help!

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Howcome I see great reviews about people saying they get 30C idle at a 4.0-4.4 overclock and loads in the 60s as well when I get those temperatures stock? Just wonderkng and thanks again for all the help!
Idle temps does not differ much from an overclocked versus a non overclocked system. However, load temps differ a lot on an overclocked system. Both idle temps and load temps would be higher or lower depending on where you live and how low your ambient temps are. Surely they might get better temps, provided that their ambient temps are lower than yours as well.

Mine would do about 30C idle, lower if reading is taken on a cold night. Load temps are also on the low 60s if taken on a cold night. During the day, my ambient temps increase thus my load and idle temps increase as well.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

Depends on the chip. Some naturally run hotter than others unfortunately. My 3770k hit over 70c with a Havik 140, hit 105c on the stock cooler. It was so bad, I had to return it.

Your temps are fine.

dahhbears!

Jun 10, 2012
Another question,

I'm still running at stock, no overclocking whatsoever and my shows vcore shows 0.976v when I'm running at 3.4ghz. However it will change to 1.2v when turbo boost in enabled running it to 3.8ghz.

Again is this normal? Isn't 1.2v for 3.8ghz a little bit too high? I haven't used any auto-overclocking in the BIOS at all. Everything is stock.

Thanks again!

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
It depends on the quality of the chip that you might get, luck plays a factor here. Some might get a chip that requires less voltage than others. Assuming that you did not overclock, it should be less than 1.2V at load. Mine does about 1.18V at stock 100% load. As with IB, anything less than 1.3V with overclocking is still acceptable.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

The CPU layout itself is not symmetric, so the cooling of the cores is not symmetric either. Some cores will naturally be hotter than others.

SandyBridgeTempsandDarkSilicon.jpg

DigitalWolf

Feb 3, 2001

This is just my opinion of course but...

Some of this has to do with ambient temps of where a person is located. For example I live in South Carolina and it has been pretty hot here so far this year. If I go somewhere that is cooler... my temps should drop some.

You also have to go from person to person and see if they provided screenshots or at least say what they are using to monitor temps.... so that you have a common basis to compare with. Depending on what you use to see temps... what they report can vary quite a bit.

^^ An example would be with an Asus motherboard... what their temp monitor shows... should be different than what realmtemp shows. The Asus monitor doesn't show per core but when it is showing 35C and realtemps lowest temp on a core is 40 or low 40's.... you get the idea.

May 29, 2012
It is an Ivy Bridge. It will always run hotter than a Sandy Bridge because of the way it was constructed. It is setup to shutdown if it reaches 105C.