Is this game going to be like Mass Effect...?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Looks better than Mass Effect...but that's not really saying anything.

Probably not...Bioware RPGs are a pretty special kind of animal.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
it's described as being a shooter, not an RPG so i don't think it'll be like ME

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
As long as it doesn't come defaulted with some retarded film grain bullshit and/or motion blur that I need to turn off within the first 60 seconds of play, it by default will be better than Mass Effect.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Looks more like BF2142 or ETQW lite with 32 or 54 players. There seem to be no RPG elements like Mass Effect.

People seem to forget Mass Effect was more Action-RPG Interactive storybook than FPS. I'm almost 100% sure there are no headshot boxes in ME(at least on Geth and the Thorian Creepers, using a sniper rifle) and it was more storyline based than action based(the story to action ratio was incredibly story biased).

I'm willing to bet Alpha Protocol is the next ME like game. Just looking at Obsidian Entertainment's history, I fully expect Alpha Protocol to be just like Mass Effect except with superspies. Even the dialouge menu and choices seem similar.

There's 3 choices for every dialouge in AP, "Professional, Suave and Aggressive" just like Mass Effect's Normal, Paragon and Renegade responses.

There's a hub navigation system, safe houses for AP, planetary systems for Mass Effect.

Same Engine

Same gameplay from what I can gather about the gameplay descriptions on AP.

Bioware does KOTOR, they do KOTOR II, Bioware does NWN1, Obsidian does NWN2, Bioware does Mass Effect, they do AP. It's Obsidian, I'm not sure how they're tied to Bioware, but Obsidian might as well rename themselves Bioware US/Irvine.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
it looks to me like FEAR2 smashed head on into a bus carrying crysis and mass effect's art style

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It kinda looks like a cross between The World of Goo and Epic Pinball from the early 90s.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
@mwmorph
Do you remember Black Isle? those that made Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1-2 and helped Bioware on Baldur's Gate1-2? well, after they were shut down most of them joined back up to create Obsidian Entertainment

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: AdamK47
It kinda looks like a cross between The World of Goo and Epic Pinball from the early 90s.

Originally posted by: novasatori
it looks to me like FEAR2 smashed head on into a bus carrying crysis and mass effect's art style

lol

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
the devs would cream if the game turned out as good as ME. i don't think that'll be the case here, but you never know where a hidden gem might come from.