Question Is this Crucial RAM fake?

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I recently (around a year ago) ordered some supposedly legitimate Crucial RAM (DDR2 SO-DIMMs) off eBay for my old Penryn-based laptop (off this seller).

Now, I'm somewhat doubtful of it being legitimate, for 2 reasons:

- got a random memory-based BSOD (stop code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT) the other day (otherwise has been fine for the past year; memtest runs clean, as does the Windows diagnostics tool)
- the packaging is sorta sus, as I've never seen Crucial packaging like this anywhere, although I know they can have variety in their packaging, and I'm in Canada, so perhaps this is their Canadian-specific packaging

Here is the relevant CPU-Z info:

crucial01.png crucial02.png crucial03.png

Packaging:
crucial05.jpg
crucial06.jpg
crucial04.jpg

RAM itself:

crucial07.jpg
crucial08.jpg

Last edited:

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I don't see anything that would jump out at me as being fake. If you continue to get the BSOD error you may try running it at 266 instead of 333. Not sure what speeds are supported by your laptop.

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
Counterfeit modules don't have eye for detail. I would be surprised if they weren't authentic due the fact than they actually have a programmed Serial Number, and is different on both modules.

Reactions: coercitiv

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Those are real... they are Micron IC's stamped and even validation stamped on top.
I don't think fake Crucial would use real micron IC's, because Micron Owns crucial.

If your having issues with RAM, DDR2 was notorious for dying.
Im suprised its lasted this long.

But DDR2 was one gen i really really really hated.

Last edited:
Reactions: fralexandr

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah looks legit, possibly just bad RAM. Though the problem could also be the memory controller (or something else entirely) which should be on the motherboard. I would do some more troubleshooting, but if the RAM is bad, you should be able to RMA I think under lifetime warranty. Even if not, well, spare DDR2 isn't that expensive.