Is this connection not enough to play online ?

Aiden2k13

May 2, 2014
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4083111556
Is this speed not enough for playing Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare properly online ? I tweeted to Activision assist that I was having lag and they say that I need more upload speed to play online . Is that true ? lol .
I thought we need more download speed for proper connectivity and we need more upload speed when someone is the host but I am not the host anytime , so why are they telling I need more upload speed for lag free experience ?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Of course you need a decent upload speed, you need to upload your information out to the servers for play.

Internet connections are fickle, WiFi can slow it down, interface, other people using your connection at the same time. If you're on cable Internet, playing on peak times can slow it down as well.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
In terms of playing games online that speed is fine. The question is how are you connecting to your router/modem/connection?

If you are not cabled to it, it is possible for high amounts of packet loss or you are connecting to game servers that are too far away for you. Ping is the biggest item you need to be aware of when playing online games. Lots of things affect it, regardless of how fast your actual internet connection is.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
PING is more important than bandwidth speed for online gaming. Your speed test results (including the PING times) indicate a connection that is more than adequate for online games. As long as those results are consistent, your lag is most likely being caused by something else.

Last edited:

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I don't know that I've ever seen such a high discrepancy between the down and up speeds. My down's about twice that, but the up is about 10 times that. That's weird, to me.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Upload speed is not great but still within the standard. Ping is excellent. Should be plenty to play online. If you're experiencing lag, it could just be the server you're connected to.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Here's one unfortunate downside to that game being that as far as I know it doesn't use dedicated servers so you'll still be relying on other peoples connections. Given that you live in India this probably widely varies, and I've no idea how the matchmaking works or where it will connect you. I've seen some other complaints from India, so you're not alone with these issues.