Is this common or just rude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm renting out a room in my house and put an ad up on craigslist and kijiji.

I've had a bunch of responses asking questions and wanting to come see it, but a common trend is saying "can you call me at XXX-XXXX".

Every time I see an email with that I just delete it.

I'm not going to go out of my way to call you. If you want to see the place, you can call me and arrange a time to come by.

Are people just dense these days?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Both common and rude. Its typical of people who are passive aggressive, a behavior that has become all too common. They won't go out of their way to make contact, thus, you should interpret that as they are not serious about your listing.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Hmm...it is common, I personaly don't take it as all that rude. Granted, I'd never done it, but when people ask me to call them I usually just do it w/out thinking twice- don't see it as a big deal.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Eh, sorta depends. I am looking at buying a home right now and tend to leave messages along those lines, simply because the people I am trying to get in touch with are not at a desk 8-5.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Is your phone number available in the ad? When responding to ads that have no number available I ask them to call me, because obviously if they wanted to be called they would have listed one.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Common, I dont see it as too rude. I mean, if you give them your number then they will call you when they can. If they give you their number, it means they are letting you call them when its convenient for you to talk.

And I dont how punching 7 digits in your phone is "going out of my way to call you". If thats a real effort for you I'm thinking you need to buy a treadmill and get some excercise.

Last edited:

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Did you include your number in your ad? ;)

Tiamat, I think you need to look up the definition of passive-aggressive.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Meh, Every Craigs posting I responded to (I was trying to buy a used canoe over the summer) was either outright ignored or I would be told it was already sold. It got to the point that I just strated giving my number instead of asking the person for theirs. If it was still available they could call me back.

I blame the lack of numbers as the problem. Too many people in the area I was looking only checked their email once in a blue moon. My buddy ended up finding one in a trader journal so we were covered in the end.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
It is common because people don't delete their craigslist posts when an item is sold/no longer available.

Rather than calling someone and bothering them, they will usually email them saying "Is it still available? Call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx" .. it's not rude. in fact, it's being courteous.

If you really wanted to sell the item, you'd take 2 seconds to pick up a phone and call a prospective client back.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ya, doesn't seem "rude" at all really. As has already been mentioned, it depends on how bad you want to Sell it. The opposite is also pretty much true, but if you want to Sell, then it seems you might have to work the Phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.