06/16/2000 Colorado SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE
Motor Vehicle Dept. ISSUED
Denver, CO
Title #186193
thx

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I wouldn't pay $7000 for a car like that with a salvage title. If you ever have an accident you get less money from the insurance company. Especially if it is totalled.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
STAY AWAY FROM SALVAGE TITLE VEHICLES!!!

Unless, good friend, you know, very well, the person who put it back together

I speak from experience

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, from what little I know I konw that Salvage is BAD, props to you for actually checking up on this car. Stay away from a car thats been in a serious accident, it just isn't worth it. It can seriously affect the car's ability in a future collision (just as once you fall on your head with a bike helmet you should replace the thing).

Brooks

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Plus, the car started off as a rental:

<< 09/01/1996 California Registered as
Motor Vehicle Dept. rental vehicle
(major car rental company)
>>

Have you ever known anyone who didn't abuse a rental car?

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Hand them a nice soothing bottle of ointment. They'll need it. Sounds to me like they &quot;took it dry&quot; on this deal.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
Don't buy a salvage unless you are planning to sell it on your own and not trading it in. Few car dealers will give you a good deal on a salvage vehicle.

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
prontospyder: In my state, we have 72 hours to back out of a purchase agreement. Sounds like this might be something your mom and sister should look into.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have till 7PM Mountain Standard Time tomorrow to change their minds...it's just an agreement over the phone, nothing has been signed yet.

They believe that nothing major was done to it after it was stolen...probably just a minor dent or stolen tires, etc...

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
Well, I know mothers and have plenty of sisters, too. If their minds are made up, then that's probably it. The best thing to do might me just to shake your head, give a sigh, and be thankful you aren't paying for it. :)

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Your best bet would also be to take to a mechanic and have them inspect it before buying! You might have to pay a few dollars but better safe then sorry!

Good Luck!

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Not all salvage cars are bad. My dad bought a 92 Buick Century with 75k miles about a year ago from our local mechanic that has a salvage title. The car had been rear-ended and totalled out. The mechanic repaired it and sold it to him for $4300. It's been a year and 18k miles later, and the car runs flawlessly. This mechanic rebuilds these wrecks and sells them as a side business. When I first got my license about 5 or 6 years ago, I bought a 92 Cavalier from him with only 40k, and that also ran fine. I sold it to a relative, and it's still running great with 100k miles.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
that's a separate issue. Salvage title cars have had their structural integrity severely compromised. In english, this means it won't stand up to a crash the way it was designed to.

cisco

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2000
It all depends on who put humpty dumpty back together again and how.
I bought a VW Rabbit that was totalled and rebuilt, the inner fenders
that were suppossedly replaced (but apparently weren't) caved in and
the car was worth its weight in scrap metal. You can look underneath the body for seams where they may have clipped a new section on, fresh
undercoating could be there to cover the work, also if the paint looks mismatched at all that could mean a section was replaced, follow the car as it drives , does it go straight or at an angle indicating a sprung frame. Some accidents cause a car to always wear tires out.
open the hoods, sometimes the don't paint real well inside the engine compartment and what you can't see from the outside, may be more noticable from under the hoods. remember, salesmen are motivated by money not a deep moral conviction to be honest. Good Luck, its probably OK but take a peek anyway, what the hay....

integlspwr

Banned
Nov 28, 1999
Salvage title doesn't mean that its bad. But most of the time it is. Take an Acura Integra for example. Car thieves love this car for many reason. Its easy to break into, and the parts on that car can easily go to another car. For example, if a integra gets broken into, the whole Leather interior is stolen, and the Alloy rims are also stolen. Inrusnace will say, they will total the car, because replacing the leather interior will almost be as expensive as the the whole car, so they just total it. From there, it goes to the insuance auctions, and a person buys with with a salvage title. BUt with that salvage title doesn't mean that it was in a major accident...

Just a thought were salvage titles doesn't mean its bad. But when buying a car. Always check out the title.

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
&quot;Yep and they said it's fine.&quot;

They into collision repair? Anyway, that car is most likely going to give you way more trouble than it's worth, especially for that price.

Staight from kbb.com &quot;A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage should be considered ?poor? because of potential problems and should be independently appraised to determine its value.&quot;

That car has NO resale value to a dealer whatsoever. Take your chances and a wild guess on the structural integrety.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
integlspwr has a good point. Maybe it is fine, but then again maybe its not. Personally I would not take that chance. If you're willing to spend $7k on a car it at least shows you have some buying power, I'd look elsewhere. DO not buy that car. Anything I have ever read on buying used vehicles - anything and everything - said avoid salvaged cars. Seriously, for all you know a minor fender bender could totally buckle a section of the car and kill somebody.

Brooks