Question Is this a way to ascertain the quality of your own display?

Jul 27, 2020

Comparing that gaming laptop display and the Z16's 100% DCI-P3 display on my Thinkpad's display, I can clearly see how washed out and bad the gaming display looks and how natural and authentic the colors on the professional quality display look. The fact that I can discern the difference so easily between those two on my display, mean that my own display is also really good?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Are you talking about around the 3:20 mark? I agree that the one on the right might be "higher quality" but it is also less realistic, too much contrast and saturation, which makes it pop to the eye, but a difference like this is also something I can control to some extent in my video driver settings or video playback software.

I don't think it means anything about your display as the difference is more than just slight.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I'm working on a display swap to a mLED that doubles the brightness and HDR performance to HDR1000 after upgrading to an ADL laptop. I've got a couple of leads on the display B173ZAN05.0 and it should blow away most average displays being shipped in laptops.

It's a good medium between LCD / OLED and the price isn't too bad if you can find someone that has them in stock in CN and can ship them. Shipped it's about $250. I reached out to the company I bought my 15.6" 4K panel from and put in an order with them a couple of weeks ago but, they're on lockdown again so, it's delayed. I found another dealer on ebay though that seems to have one in stock that can be shipped within 24 hours which sounds promising.

Anyway.. if you can see the difference in the video that's one thing but, putting up images side by side with one laptop and another or pre/post upgrade you'll be able to tell more.

I had a shot of my FHD <> UHD side by side but the forum I posted the thread on got shutdown and I can't find the pic files at the moment but, basically upgrading from 262K colors to 1.06B makes a big difference as well as the aspect ratio going from 1080 to 3840 shows more detail. The brightness from the FHD panel to UHD was a nice boost too from ~300 to ~500.

The best idea is to grab HWINFO and the panel ID and compare it to some others in the same class, notbookcheck.net seems to have some good side by side specs / tests they perform. panelook.com gives you more detailed info about the panel and allows for picking other options that match the pin count / size.

I find even high end laptops tend to skimp on the quality of the display. There's always something better that fits the laptop. Hitting those higher coverage numbers makes a difference.

The 4.9 panel is what my laptop shipped with and the 5.0 is the best option I can find someone has hands on with. Ideally moving to a 120hz like the VB01 would be nice but, a swap to just 4K and mediocre brightness would be the 3,.5. The lead I have on ebay sells both the 5.0 / 3.5 for the same price so, why not go for the mLED for better specs even w/ HDR turned on taking into account the brightness drops by 200 it's still ~250 brighter than the 3.5 panel. Mind you I tend to keep it tempered at 50% or less most of the time but, when doing stuff outdoors it's nice to be able to bump it up and 500 nits isn't going to cut it.

Jul 27, 2020
I find even high end laptops tend to skimp on the quality of the display. There's always something better that fits the laptop. Hitting those higher coverage numbers makes a difference.
That really annoys me. It's like they expect people to hook up the laptop to a better external display and only deal with the mediocre laptop display for limited time while on the move. Great tips, by the way. Unfortunately, I'm clumsy so panel upgrade is not something I would attempt to do. I'm more likely to cause some irreparable damage.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
It's not that bad. It's either double sided tape or a few screws holding it in place.

IMG_20220508_111909.jpg
IMG_20220508_111904.jpg
The 4 strips are the double sided tape used on mine. The wire harness unclips and slides out. Put it back in reverse and reuse the tape by moving it to the new panel. Just take some time and everything will be ok. If you want you could use some gorilla squares on the new one instead

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
It's like they expect people to hook up the laptop to a better external display and only deal with the mediocre laptop display for limited time while on the move.
Like TJ, I've replaced laptop a laptop display that I found unsatisfactory. In my case I couldn't stand the glossy "glare type" display so it got swapped for matte.

At the same time we run our laptops "docked" to mechanical keyboards, laser mice and large monitors.

Even in a hotel we will use the TV rather than look at a tiny crappy laptop display.