Is this a sign that I OC'ed my video card too much?

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
At another forum I noticed someone else with the same problem.

when I OC the core or the memory too far on my video card 3DMark 2001 SE either crashes to the desktop or restarts my computer. If I lower it down to the previous settings it will run 3DMark fine. It seems the farthest I can go is 290 core and 550 memory. If I go upto 295, or even 293 3DMark crashes to desktop or restarts my PC. Same thing with the memory if I go upto 555. This is with a GF4 Ti4200 128mb.

So is 3DMark crashing like that a sign that my video card has reached its limits? I see no visual artifacts, it'll either restart or crash sometime on the nature test, or even as far into the benchmark as the advanced pixel shader.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
I checked and the video card fan seems to be running at full speed, plus the 80mm fan blowing right at it from the side. That seems to be enough cooling for an OC that small. My CPU runs at 36 idle and 44 load.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Generally, if you are experiencing lockups and crashes, the core speed is set too high. You generally only experience artifacts when the memory is set too high. Drop the core speed down and see if you can increase the memory speed anymore.

ASK THE COMMUNITY