Is this a scam? edit: nevermind, it's not

Sir Fredrick

Oct 14, 1999
edit:
I called my parents to ask their advice, and apparently here's what happened:
About a year ago my parents signed up with essential.com for their long distance service, they set it up to automatically bill their credit card. A couple months ago that CC must have expired. They received nothing from essential.com saying that they were unable to bill the credit card, there's just suddenly a disconnection notice. My dad's name is James, and for some reason they're billing him as Jas. The post office is supposed to forward mail intended for "Jay Paroline" up to this address...apparently they felt that Jas was closer to Jay than to James, which is why I received the notice.
My parents will call tomorrow and straighten it out.

Hi, I received in the mail today a notice from essential.com
It says:

Final Notice
Termination of Long Distance Telephone Service
Immediate Action Required

Jas A Paroline (my name is Jason not Jas)
my old address, which I haven't been at for over 6 months (it was forwarded to my new address)

Account number:
my old home phone number

username: jasparoline
password: a bunch of characters

total amount due: 78.15

Past due amount: $54.56
Date of notice: 12/03/01

Dear JAS A PAROLINE

Your account for long distance telephone services is currently past due. Our records show that you have failed to make the required payment on your account. As a result, we are compelleed to issue you this notice for proposed discontinuation of your telephone service with Essential. It is very important that you pay the full past due amount or your service will be discontinued 10 days from the date on this notice. Payment must arrive at Essential.com prior to disconnect date.

blah blah blah

If you fail to make this payment, your account will also be referred to a professional collection services agency for further attempts to collect the past due amount. To avoid this, your (sic) must remit pthe full past due balance to the following address:

Essential.com
PO Box 588
Lewiston, ME
04243-0588

blah blah blah

Ok, I have never heard of essential.com before, they don't have my real name or my current address, essential.com doesn't have very much information on it, and it's too late to call them.
I'm wondering if this is a scam that I should report, if I should just ignore this notice, or if I really need to try to get ahold of them to straighten it out.
This is the first time I've received a bill from them, it's not like I received a bill and ignored it.
I'm afraid to log in to the site with the username and password they supplied for fear that might bind me to something.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
must be scam by former essentail.com employee.

I tried to log in to pay my bill but failed for several months. Never receive any paper bill.
I guess they don't have mood to collect money since they're doomed.

Essential is now United Systems Access, Inc. The redesigned USA Web site and new Online Customer Portal is nearing completion and scheduled to launch on January 1, 2002. At that time we will be offering both local and long distance telephone service to new customers from Maine to Virginia and everywhere in between. Check back for more ...
Straight Talk. Great Rates.

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM OUR PRESIDENT

November 26, 2001

Dear Essential.com Customers:

We are excited to inform you of our recent acquisition of Essential.com. We have been working diligently to provide a seamless migration of both local and long distance accounts to the United Systems Access (USA) platform.

WHO IS USA?

USA has retained Essential's Burlington, Massachusetts location and invested heavily in the necessary systems to give its employees the training, tools and authority to implement USA's "Customer First" philosophy. And beginning December 1, you will see major improvements.

We are absolutely committed to retaining the best ideas of the old Essential while establishing a firm technological base to prevent re-occurrence of any of the historical problems.

WHAT WILL CHANGE?

We are grateful for your patience during this period of transition and we would like to reward you for remaining loyal Essential and USA customers. A 5% monthly savings bonus will be made available to all of our current customers who pay on time. Just pay your bills on or before the monthly due date and the reward will be credited automatically.

USA is committed to, and recognized for, providing our customers with the lowest rates and the highest level of customer service in the industry; online and offline.

Straight Talk. Great Rates.

HOW DO I BENEFIT?

We genuinely want you, our customer, to be happy and look forward to continuing as your communications "provider of choice" for years to come. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly with any questions and/or concerns at steve@usacsp.com.

Sincerely,

Stephen J. Gilbert
President
United Systems Access, Inc. (USA)