Is this a good time to start playing TF2?

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I haven't played that game at all before. Is it noob friendly or am I going to be called names for being a noob? I heard it is pretty fun, so am interested to know a few things before I start playing it.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Anytime is a good time. Look for servers that say they're noob friendly. Really no one is going to call you a noob, from my experience.

Start off as a heavy or soldier and follow the crowd to kill other baddies.

There's training you can do too.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Is it really ever a bad time to start playing a fun game? It is fairly noob friendly. Just play on a large server and you won't stick out like a sore thumb. Try something easy like Soldier, Scout or Heavy first. This game is like crack though. You've been warned.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
tf2 is a game that has many players and there is no exp system for upgrades and stuff so everyone is still generally playing on the same page. There are a number of alternative weapon types but they are either minor, or of set a really powerful shot mode with a really weak or no shot mode at all. And they are all unlocked by luck anyways.

So yea have a blast.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
No, the game turned terrible once hats were introduced + F2P.

I want my money back since they changed the default server configs.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Haven't played in a long time, but its a really fun game that people just have fun on. Voice chatting is common and can be a blast. People don't take it seriously like they do other FPS games.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
If all you have to complain about is silly hats and default server configs that no one uses, the game is doing well.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I loved it but stopped playing after the hat business. It perfect then messed it up with new items/weapons then got out of control. Still, don't let my opinion keep you from playing it, I really did love it.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
TF2 is tons of fun.. better when it was simpler and non-F2P.. I still play with mostly stock weapons even though I own it since HL2 was released. hats and fancy clothes are silly.. just play the damn game.

Oct 30, 2004
It's a great game if it resonates with you. I played it some and had a good time but ended up losing interest for some reason. Now I play Planetside 2 for FPS.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
Years ago I got TF2 in The Orange Box. I've still never even bothered to install it.

People say it's a good game but I just never could get over the cartoon like graphics.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
I loved it but stopped playing after the hat business. It perfect then messed it up with new items/weapons then got out of control. Still, don't let my opinion keep you from playing it, I really did love it.

Yeah. The hats were fine with me, but I lost interest once they started rolling out masses of new weapons/abilities. I liked its original simplicity.

I have no idea what this Mann Company/crates/items business is now. Steam says I've logged almost 1700 hours... it was good while it lasted.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Free tip: there are never enough medics, and everyone will want to be your friend:)

But if you don't heal people and you don't use your uber properly then you will be the most hated person on the earth. :D