Is this a good TFT for gaming?

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Hi,
I`m buying a new monitor in january, and am strongly leaning towards a TFT so i can re-claim the room on my desk.
Ive seen a new Hitatchi Monitor on a local dealers website, it seems good, especially for gaming, for a TFT.
The video card i`ll be using it on is a 9700PRO(Hercules), also getting that in jan, from the same dealer.

Hitachi CML174SXWB 17" TFT Monitor
17" (same as 19" CRT)
16ms responce time
1280*1024 resolution
DVI-D / DSUB Connector
400:1 Contrast Ratio

Unsure of Refresh rates at 1280x1024, i anyone knows, then shout up!!!. Does it refresh rates matter as much on TFT`s?
Or will it be the same as CRT`s, ie; 60hz Flickers, 70hz min, 85hz reccommeded.
What about the DVI connector? Will it work with the 9700PROs? As the monitors connector is labled as DVI-D, where as the 9700PROs is labled as a DVI-I.
Can DVI conenctors be run at 1280x1024? As i remember reading somewhere that theres a maximum resolution for DVI Connectors at the moment.

Heres the link (I`d get the black one, not that, that makes a difference!!!)
Here

IHYLN

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
refresh rate does not really matter on LCDs. I have this monitor and I LOVE it. Best money I ever spent.

Hooked up to a GF4 TI4600. Games run splendid at the native resolution!

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Hi,
According to the Hitatchi website, it only has a refresh rate of 60hz at 1280x1024.
Will i notice the flickering?
Any answers to the rest of my questions?
Do you get/ can you notice any ghosting with it?
What games do you use?, fast paced ones like UT2003/Quake3, cos thats my primary use and thats when the ghosting is most likely to happen.

CelticHound

Dec 5, 2002

It's not refresh rate that matters for flat panels, but response time (how long it takes the pixels to react to a state change).

I don't think flicker is the issue, but ghosting/blurring when a scene is changing rapidly.

A sub-20 ms response looks to be the best you can get right now.

I don't play the really fast games myself. (I'm lusting after a Samsumg 240T to watch DVDs.) From what I've heard the Hitachi still has some ghosting, but people are really happy with it.

Here is a link to a good summary of stuff to consider for a flat panel:

http://www.monitorsdirect.com/pdf/lcd_buy_guide.pdf

-- CH

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Any refresh rate over 60 should be fine for an LCD. However, what matters for a gamer on LCD choice is the response time. Unfortunately, even the best LCD available now (whether it's Samsung, Sony, or whatever) will give ghosting effect while the cheapest CRT today won't. It may depend on how sensitive you are, and often times you will just get used to the ghosting. But I couldn't stand a slight ghosting so I'll be stuck with my CRT for the time being.. (But LCDs are really tempting.. damn..)

CelticHound

Dec 5, 2002

Since the pixels on a flat panel are made up of a wonking-big array of transistors, the pixel density (dot pitch equiv) is basically determined by the panel size and the native resolution. So if you have two panels of the same size and resolution, by defintion they have the same pixel density.

One other potentially sucky thing about flat panels is that since the native resolution is hardwired in, they have to interpolate to run at other resolutions. If your panel had a native resolution of 1600x1200, then running at 1024x768 may look kinda fuzzy. (But for 800x600 it could just double the pixels, so it should look fine.)

Just another thing to consider.

-- CH