Is this a good price for airfare ticket to Italy?

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Going to Italy in May.

Talked to an online agent at LowAirFare.com and she quoted me $1584.60 (including taxes) for 2 tix.

Now we are flying from Dulles to Naples and then from Venice to Dulles.

We are going to tour the country from South to North and then just fly out of Venice back. There is one stop in Paris each way and a 2.5 hour layover on the way over that I don't like but it might be hard to get a direct flight.

I refuse to use Priceline because I've heard nothing but horror stories, especially buying this far in advance.

Another thing is we are flying before the 15th (when prices go up)

So any thoughts?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
My wife and I went Detroit to Rome and back in '98. Stopover in London both ways. Seems like the fare was around $650.00 each, which was by no means a bargain fare. I grabbed that fare to ease my burden, what with having to find accommodations and whatnot.

I think you're ticket shopping too early. I would wait until February-March before I got serious looking for good fares. There are plentiful flights overseas. You're not going to have to worry about seat availablity.

Call a local travel agent. Maybe a friend has one they can recommend.

One thing's for sure, the airline ticket thing is a tough call. Fares go up and down all the time. Sometimes many hundreds of dollars over a week or even day.

Keep shopping. You'll get a better handle on fares. You are in no hurry right now, I'll guarantee that.

I've had good luck at lowestfare and travelocity.

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did LA to Frankfurt on US Airways for less than $500 r/t last August. I thought that was a GREAT deal!

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well g/f mother is travel agent and she says she can do better.

IBhacknU where did you get that rate?

sookaa

Oct 9, 1999
check out www.expedia.com or www.travelocity.com play around with your departure times and you will see how the fares fluctuate...then you can see what should be the cheapest prices which your regular travel agent should be able to duplicate or get a little cheaper if they belong to a bulk purchasing syndicate

sookaa

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry kantonburg,

it seems my brother says it was a special deal US Airways put on this last summer.