Question Is this a good nvme drive

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
The Rocket Q4 is the best QLC drive on the consumer market, but 1TB is the smallest capacity that makes any sense for QLC and the Q4 is only marginally faster than the PCIe 3.0 Rocket Q that's quite a bit cheaper. But with holiday sales, you really shouldn't be paying more than about $100 per TB for a QLC drive, and you can find some TLC drives about that cheap.

Reactions: Shmee and damian101

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would wait for deals on the TLC offerings, if possible. Also, the Rocket 4 Plus was just released, though it may be in short supply ATM.

Feb 4, 2009
I would wait for deals on the TLC offerings, if possible. Also, the Rocket 4 Plus was just released, though it may be in short supply ATM.

Yeah I’m holding off on this for now.
Starting to think these are all ridiculously fast even the “slow” ones. Maybe I should go for a bigger size.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would avoid QLC drives if possible.
Decent ones (like the Intel 660p, with DRAM cache), aren't as bad as you think. They're still "better than SATA", though these Intel drives max out at around 1800-2000MB/sec read and write. (665p a little faster than 660p.)

I was running them in RAID-0, but had some "weirdness" with AMD NVMe RAID on AM4 / B450 chipset, so when I re-formatted last time, I broke the RAID, and am just running a single 1TB m.2 NVMe drive, with the secondary M.2 NVMe still installed in the other slot. (Was going to make it the "game drive".)

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Any reason why
They are considerably slower than TLC drives. Think of QLC and big, cheap and slow. They are not slugs but they are not as fast as TLC or SLC Nvme drives. Even TLC drives suffer from speed drops once the large write cache runs out. QLC performance drops even more.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
They are considerably slower than TLC drives. Think of QLC and big, cheap and slow. They are not slugs but they are not as fast as TLC or SLC Nvme drives. Even TLC drives suffer from speed drops once the large write cache runs out. QLC performance drops even more.

for games its moot.

for games:

1. Size
2. Size
3. Size
4. Size / $$ Ratio
5. Size
6. Cost $$.

Always get the largest / cheapest drive for games if your looking at SSD.
nVME vs SSD is not worth the PCI-E lanes, so don't do it for games unless your that rich person who buys the 8TB nVME.

I would rather Raid-0 4x2TB on SATA6G < $800.00 then buy a single 8TB nVME @ 1300 which will at best give me 2-3 seconds faster loading time... (not worth it.)