Is there something wrong with weather.com?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have been for a few weeks going to hourly weather at weather.com. Comes right up with hour by hour temps, precip, etc.

But last few days on all my Windows PCs it's saying the wrong time of day. Like right now it's 11AM here at 94703 and it's coming up with first hour at 9PM. Nutty. Been doing this for 2-3 days. I found a workaround somehow, don't know how, but on another system, same problem. My PCs are auto-set to the correct time. The URL starting at 9PM just now is:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Same thing happens if I enter zip for Los Angeles, like 90064, where I used to live. Starts at 9PM.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
works fine for me.
Yeah, I suspected as much. Well, what could be happening to make this happen on all my systems... they are running Chrome here... maybe a different browser, but why is this happening?

Edit: It's happening on Brave Browser too. :(

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Firefox, Chrome, Brave, Edge, Opera GX show the correct time for me.
I can also change to another zip code and it still gives me the correct time for that time zone (PST. MST, CST, EST, AST)

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Depends on how you mean that lol... the site seems to load just fine for me.

Thing is for me at least a weather website should be about weather. Period. In that sense there's plenty wrong with weather.com IMO! (unless click-bait is your thing)

EDIT: To be fair the site is somewhat improved since I last visited ... still too busy for me though.

I suggest this instead:

www.accuweather.com

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Yeah, I am seeing that also, on my desktop, android phone and an iPad. I am in the bay area also.

The page says "As of 10:19PM PST" when it is 2:24 PM.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Muse

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Used a VPN (Surfshark) with location San Francisco, CA. Gives the time at 4 PM, and it's about 3:18 PM there.

Snap18.jpg

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Used a VPN (Surfshark) with location San Francisco, CA. Gives the time at 4 PM, and it's about 3:18 PM there.

View attachment 39714

/shrug

I am in South Bay, Muse is in East Bay. Maybe there is some router that is mucking up the time for us. I even tried on my phone LTE connection (AT&T) to rule out my ISP (Comcast).

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
@Muse are you dual-booting Linux?

Edit: Or, on a vpn?
Have never run Linux on a PC. Might have booted a stick with Linux on it for something, but I haven't dual booted except for my WinXP machines. My WinXP mid-tower has 3 WinXP partitions... in case one gets flaky I can boot to another installation in a couple of minutes. Can then reinstall on the crazy-acting partition. Has served me well.

Also, am not doing any VPN stuff.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I am seeing that also, on my desktop, android phone and an iPad. I am in the bay area also.

The page says "As of 10:19PM PST" when it is 2:24 PM.
Yeah, thanks! Something weird going on around here and I figured Weather.com would be aware of it by now and fixed it. I got it to stop having the current time advance by ~6 hours about 3 times but don't know what did it.

I really don't much care which weather service I use but most, I find, I click hourly and get something I don't like. I usually just want to know what temperature it is now and will be in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... etc. hours AND if it's going to be sunny, partly cloudy, cloudy, showers, rain or heavy rain. That's usually all I want and hourly weather at weather.com seems to do that... WHEN IT WORKS! Sometimes I use smartphones for weather, but lately not because staying at home because pandemic.

Edit: Just hit it again and it's 7PM here right now but the site says it's 4AM. :rolleyes:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What browser are you using? Does it do it in all of them?

Wondering if this is a "Feature" of the anti-browser-fingerprinting in Firefox.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What browser are you using? Does it do it in all of them?

Wondering if this is a "Feature" of the anti-browser-fingerprinting in Firefox.
Running Chrome, stopped using Firefox because it was a latency nightmare for me (probably the tab maintenance extension I'm running but didn't mess around, just started using Chrome all the time... I was running it anyway, so...)

Also tried on Brave Browser and same thing happened, so figure it wasn't my browser doing this. The PC knows what time it is.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
weather.com is The Weather Channel. Maybe you should find a better weather source...

Weather.gov
Accuweather.com
Wunderground.com

Just to name a few...

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, thanks! Something weird going on around here and I figured Weather.com would be aware of it by now and fixed it. I got it to stop having the current time advance by ~6 hours about 3 times but don't know what did it.

I really don't much care which weather service I use but most, I find, I click hourly and get something I don't like. I usually just want to know what temperature it is now and will be in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... etc. hours AND if it's going to be sunny, partly cloudy, cloudy, showers, rain or heavy rain. That's usually all I want and hourly weather at weather.com seems to do that... WHEN IT WORKS! Sometimes I use smartphones for weather, but lately not because staying at home because pandemic.

Edit: Just hit it again and it's 7PM here right now but the site says it's 4AM. :rolleyes:

Time appears to be correct for me using latest version of Chrome desktop. Currently 6AM PST.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Nov 17, 2019
.com and WU are advertising/propaganda. The folks at Accuweather want to abolish and take over the National Weather Service.

Weather.gov is where people should go. Or your local media website.

I've also found that timeanddate.com isn't too bad.

Reactions: Spacehead

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
.com and WU are advertising/propaganda. The folks at Accuweather want to abolish and take over the National Weather Service.

Weather.gov is where people should go. Or your local media website.

I've also found that timeanddate.com isn't too bad.
I use Accuweather. It works fine, but seems to be getting so resource heavy that it really has slowed down on my phone. Havent noticed any time descrepenecies.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use NOAA whenever possible. I have a program(GeometricWeather) on my phone that uses accuweather cause it's the best looking program with the most useful features that works. My ancient made at the birth of android program that used NOAA quit working right last year. Hadn't been updated in many years, and enough changes had been made to finally break it. It did what I wanted though. Some time, I might see if I can fix it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I just checked it & it was off by almost an hour. How often does it update? It said "as of 6:00pm". If i refreashed in 10 minutes would/should it say "as of 6:10pm"? Or does it go hourly or 1/2 hourly?
I'm not familiar with the site.