Is there anyway this could "just happen" on a toilet?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I had a clogged drain last night and to make a long story short I had a company come out today and check it out. They had to pull a toilet to unclog it. I was at work while the whole thing was going on.

They first called to let me know they had to pull the toilet to get to the drain and it was $55 extra.

Then like 45 mins later they called me saying that my toilet had a crack in the back and that I have to replace it. He said the piece most likely fell into the drain and could be part of the clog as well. They asked if I wanted them to take it away and I told them no I'll ahndle it, cause I wanted to see it.

So I get home and check it out, and the pic is below. It's basically symmetrical on both sides. I don't see at ALL how that could have happened and fell into the inside of the toilet. The angles of the part that cracked off are facing away from the toilet, so the piece would have fell out. Plus look at the shape, I don't think it would fit.

I also know I pissed this morning and flushed the toilet and no water was rushing out or anything, I would have noticed since I had to brush my teeth and stuff still. I'm pretty sure if I flushed with a hole like that, water would come rushing out.

So I'm thinking that the dude may have just fucked up and is trying to make this claim. Or is this something that could "just happen" to a toilet? Just seems fishy...

Lf6vq8w.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That would have flooded your bathroom.
That's what I am saying, and my plumber buddy on IRC too.

He posted on a plumbing forum and multiple people have said that it could have been a snake cable from another bathroom going in there and broke it. And that toilet is back to back with the other toilet that they pulled and were snaking from, so I'm guessing that is exactly what happened. It would explain the angle of the crack too from the inside to outside of the toilet.

The fact they didn't tell me that though and said it was already broken, and the piece fell in, is shady. There's no way it could have fell in there based on the shape of that piece.

Reactions: highland145

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Are there any heavy people using your toilet?
Nope, and that toilet very rarely even gets sat on. It's just myself using it to shower and piss in the morning mainly. When I drop deuces I do it downstairs where there is more space.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
If that is a different toilet than the one where they were snaking the clog, what were they even doing in that bathroom? They wouldn't have gone in there unless they were checking to see if they broke it.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Nope, and that toilet very rarely even gets sat on. It's just myself using it to shower and piss in the morning mainly. When I drop deuces I do it downstairs where there is more space.

Sorry bad joke.

Kinda of and odd chip like it was hit with a hammer. I was thinking maybe they yanked on the tank or slammed it into the back wall but that would be a lot of force and I would think it would snap completely.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Nope, they broke it. The porcelain in the break is clean and freshly exposed. Not to mention the gushing and flooding you would have noticed this morning.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I ended up talking to the owner and getting 1/2 my money back so I'm fine with that. He still didn't think his worker did it but I mean facts are facts.

The worker who came was super nice and all and I feel bad for these guys, but hey, if they didn't crack my toilet they would have made more money.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You need to find another plumber and not allow them to do work in your place unsupervised by you.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You need to find another plumber and not allow them to do work in your place unsupervised by you.
This is the first plumber I've ever needed in 6 years in my first house. I just went to Angie's List and found one with high ratings.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
There is no way that toilet was like that when you used it in the morning. The plumber broke it. No doubt about it.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I know what you mean but as a contractor paying for a $2mil insurance policy and bonding I'm not a big fan of customer who insist on being over my shoulder and ready to trip over a cord and sue me.
I don't have any issue with my client watching me work. I'll often explain what I'm doing and why. I find it gives them a better appreciation of whats going on and the effort and skill involved.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I know what you mean but as a contractor paying for a $2mil insurance policy and bonding I'm not a big fan of customer who insist on being over my shoulder and ready to trip over a cord and sue me.

There is a big difference between getting in the way and overseeing the job to make sure shit like this doesn't happen.

Do you insist that the homeowner leave the home while you are working?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
There is a big difference between getting in the way and overseeing the job to make sure shit like this doesn't happen.

Nope. Keep the site clean and orderly and warn my clients that they have to be very careful in the area. So far it's worked out well, but that could end tomorrow.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nope. Keep the site clean and orderly and warn my clients that they have to be very careful in the area. So far it's worked out well, but that could end tomorrow.

My post was in response to paperfist post.

Thumbs up on your answer anyway!

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Wait, before I answer is this the politics forum? :)

Not to skate your question, but we do 99.9% commercial work and so it depends on the person. For the same reason you might not trust a contractor is the same reason why I don't trust everyone in my work area and it's got nothing to do with quality and everything to do with liability.

The problem with this situation is the contractor chose to be dishonest and instead of eating a $120 toilet he tried to cover it up and now he'll likely face bad reviews by Mr Beast along with never being hired by him again. If I break something even if it's a $1 item I own it.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
If I break something even if it's a $1 item I own it.

It's not unusual for there to be hidden conditions that don't present themselves until someone starts making repairs. Everyone has to be reasonable about the situation. Maybe the last guy cracked the toilet and, since it was rarely used, no one noticed until the new guy came in a finished the job.

The key is to never try and bullshit your way out of the problem though. Even if you know you will get away with it.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
That's what I am saying, and my plumber buddy on IRC too.

He posted on a plumbing forum and multiple people have said that it could have been a snake cable from another bathroom going in there and broke it. And that toilet is back to back with the other toilet that they pulled and were snaking from, so I'm guessing that is exactly what happened. It would explain the angle of the crack too from the inside to outside of the toilet.

The fact they didn't tell me that though and said it was already broken, and the piece fell in, is shady. There's no way it could have fell in there based on the shape of that piece.
Curious if the dwv sweep on the 1st toilet faces the sweep on the 2nd toilet. That could let the snake travel to the 2nd.

Rotate pic 45 degrees.

Z_I8I-fo5oy.JPG