Question Is there anything I can do to maybe fix or troubleshoot this?

Vybz

Dec 27, 2007
I have a GTX 780 in my gaming rig that I build to the end of 2017 (a long time ago, I know). I was about to log off Overwatch when my screen on one of my monitors went grey and the other went black. after numerous attempts, I was able to get the pc back on except for only one monitor and the screen was in a very low resolution and there were some red lines on the screen. In device settings, the device was stopped by windows because it had some issues ( I am paraphrasing). So I am guessing my card is dead, I really don't want to go card shopping in this climate even though I may need an upgrade so is there anything that I can try? Oh, I tried updating the driver because I didn't in so long, but the pc keeps crashing halfway through.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
lol thank you.

really? is this really a thing?

Yes.

But it is a last resort measure.

You can also do a visual inspection of the card and look for visibly defective components. May have to remove the heatsink first.

Odds are against you.

Vybz

Dec 27, 2007
Yes.

But it is a last resort measure.

You can also do a visual inspection of the card and look for visibly defective components. May have to remove the heatsink first.

Odds are against you.

I did the visual inspection. nothing seems to have been burnt or anything. But I am opening it up again today for another look around. I really hate whoever came up with crypto. They are the devil.

Reactions: bigboxes

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
If you have a multimeter you could try to test the caps.

oh, and message your congress critter asking him to outlaw crypto. Just enables criminality and destroys the environment.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, that sounds like FIAT :D
Yea, but FIAT is easy to use, does not require a cities worth of electricity to do a transaction, accepted at my local businesses, does not cost $20 to do a transaction, and has the intrinsic value of representing a unit of economic value for the nation state it represents.

It also costs a lot more money and time to run FIAT through a tumbler* to disguise its origin.

*also called laundering

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
really? is this really a thing?

not really its more witch oil.
The whole point in baking your card was in hopes to attempt a mickey mouse reball solder itself.
If your gpu got hot enough for the solder to unsolder itself, there is something much more broken with your card.

Chances are you will break your card even more as subjecting your card to that heat (~400F) your going to ask for more headaches then magical fixes.

I have seen people try the oven technique... IMO it only works like 1:50 people that try it. And its not a FIX even if it does. At best your putting a very loose band aid on it, that probably won't even last you though this cryto madness.

Reactions: ZGR

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Yea, baking makes no sense.

If you can reball it you have a chance of fixing it, but that's only if solder connections are an issue. And you require expertise in reballing and using such a machine.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
What's there to lose on a piece of garbage? Baking might work, as in 1-50 or something odds as mentioned. If it lasts another few months it might allow him to find a used card in the meantime.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
not really its more witch oil.
The whole point in baking your card was in hopes to attempt a mickey mouse reball solder itself.
If your gpu got hot enough for the solder to unsolder itself, there is something much more broken with your card.

Chances are you will break your card even more as subjecting your card to that heat (~400F) your going to ask for more headaches then magical fixes.

I have seen people try the oven technique... IMO it only works like 1:50 people that try it. And its not a FIX even if it does. At best your putting a very loose band aid on it, that probably won't even last you though this cryto madness.

More to it then that.

When they switched away from lead free solder the replacements were more brittle. As time went on, they became better at using the replacements, and the lead was replaced with the somewhat expensive indium. Indium reduces the problem, but it is not always available at a desirable price point.

Even so, with non-lead solder repeated expansion and shrinkage (from getting hot and then room temperature) will eventually lead to solder failure. Granted, other things on the board are more likely to break first.

The reason for baking is if one of the solder balls cracked and no longer gets the ideal connection, perhaps baking it could result in it remaking that connection. For a time.

Like the one guy said, 1/50 chance. Besides, what do you have to lose?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would try flashing the card's firmware first. I have zombied a card with code 43 that way.

And I have read the smell can be very bad from using the oven. Buy a cheap heat gun, and follow a tutorial. But as noted, it is rarely a long term fix when it does work. I have yet to zombie anything but a Xbox 360 that way. But also as noted in this thread, it is a hail Mary, that if successful, could buy you some time.

Reactions: Leeea

Vybz

Dec 27, 2007
Congrats, hopefully it will last for a while longer.

My joy was short lived only lasted two days but now it crashes every time I get into game. but my dual monitors work fine outside of the game and only the game crashes. it gives this error.

Code:
Your rendering device has been lost. Application Close

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Baking cards to fix is a myth. Reballing can work, but that's kind of a last resort.

Whatever chance you have of fixing it can be totally blown away by baking it. When reballing, you take care not to heat up the other components, and also not to kill the chip. Proper machines will carefully control the temperature so the GPU doesn't die.

When you just stick it into the oven, you can kill the other components.

Sorry to hear.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
My joy was short lived only lasted two days but now it crashes every time I get into game. but my dual monitors work fine outside of the game and only the game crashes. it gives this error.

Code:
Your rendering device has been lost. Application Close

So close! You can feel it!

bake it again! ( a bit longer and perhaps a bit warmer)

Last edited:

Vybz

Dec 27, 2007
it worked for about 2 hours after I sent this message. But on the bright side, I hear cards prices are coming down and that stocks are beginning to come back. Then there is the further failures of bitcoin. China has banned bitcoin farming!! YAY!! and other countries are beginning to be very concerned about the amount of power being consumed by farms and the effect on the environment. And Ethereum is going to prevent minners from using GPU's to mine. So yay I hope i can buy a RTX 3070 soon.

Reactions: Leeea