Is there any way to recover data from a thumb drive

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
My freaking PNY jumpdrive failed, none of my computers will recognize it, i had some important school files on there, and was wondering if there was any way to recover info from them. thanks.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
yes.....this is the wrong forum. Anyways, take it apart and see if it's a common memory card (SD card for example) if it is, you may be able to use it with a memory card reader to recover the data.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: KLin
yes.....this is the wrong forum. Anyways, take it apart and see if it's a common memory card (SD card for example) if it is, you may be able to use it with a memory card reader to recover the data.

Or buy another thumb drive... exact same model. Insert the old memory card into the new drive.

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
Its a clear case one, i can see it, how big would this card be, its really narrow i thought sd's and such are about twice as wide.

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
I dont know if mine has a removable card in it though, its the Attache model and im not sure.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
The attaches are notorious for flunking out. And no, the flash chip is soldered directly to the board. So you can't remove it. You lose. Back up next time.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
My brother had a thumbdrive die on him. I forget what brand it was, but it was definatly out of warranty (few years old), but the company recovered his data and sent him a new drive after a few emails :)

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
The attaches are notorious for flunking out. And no, the flash chip is soldered directly to the board. So you can't remove it. You lose. Back up next time.

I'm sure it could technically be removed.

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005

That would have been good to know a year ago. Figures the the only files on there i didnt have anywhere else, are the school files that my teacher needs.

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
My brother had a thumbdrive die on him. I forget what brand it was, but it was definatly out of warranty (few years old), but the company recovered his data and sent him a new drive after a few emails :)

hmm mines only a year old, if that, i wonder if i could get in touch with PNY

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

Scary thing is lots of folks use these flash drives to back up their stuff! :Q

Feb 19, 2001
Ok, a thumb drive will show up as a Removable drive in Windows right? It will give a drive letter in My Computer, so go ahead and run regular drive recovery software that you would use for your hard drives, except select the removable disk.

I did this for my CF card which I plugged into my printer and hit recover for because it showed up as another drive. Worked pretty well =)

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001

I agree with this statement. When I worked at a college, we had a few people come in with this sort of issue. thumb drives are better than floppy disks by a ton, but like any other data storage they need to be backed up on a regular basis.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
i lost a gig of data off my lexar drive.. the pc with broken usb port.. didn't know, stick it in, it fried... i was sol