Is there any way to help minimize the scarring from a cut that required stitches?

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Where is the scar, on your face? Otherwise it probably wont be very noticable regardless.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i had a cut above my eye that required stitches but i didn't end up getting any. all i used was those butterfly bandages to hold the wound together. i think it helped in the long run, but i'm not sure.

as far as a dressing for the cut though... hmm

Jun 19, 2004
Chicks dig scars dude. Wear it like a badge of honor and say you earned it in a knife fight with Chinese Triad mobsters while defending a ladies virtue!

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Gauze first w/Neosporin. Change bandages regularly.

After the wounds clots and heals over a little use (to less than a millimeter or two deep), you can use Duoderm (w/ silver halide). // this is expensive

After when it is scarring and healing over, you can use a synthetic bandage spray. Since it is around your eye, BE CAREFUL with the spray.

Vitamin E & C.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Grow up, scars are representations of things youve done, whether you deserved them or not. If you cant stand to look at a scar, put a bandaid over it with pink flowers and Spong Bob Square Pants in the foreground.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I've got some scars that have been there for years and show no signs of fading... and these weren't even the stitches-required kind.

Also I had a spleenectomy that required surgery - a 6-inch vertical cut straight down my stomach... staples and everything afterward... I asked the doc about scars and he said it should fade within a year. It's been 7 years and it's still prominent.

If you're cut, you'll have a scar for life. It's all good though... battle scars...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
salt. Lots and lots of salt. Works best if you put it in the wound when it's still open.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
salt. Lots and lots of salt. Works best if you put it in the wound when it's still open.

Maybe I should have just cauterized it....

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
the best thing you can do is a techique called "snapping".

scars are caused by collegen fibers growing in all sorts of different directions and lack of good blood flow. if you know how to snap your fingers you can do this technique.

put the scar between your thumb and middle finger and snap your skin. go up and down the scar 4-5 times and do this twice a day for a month. what you are doing is breaking up the collegen fibers and allowing O2 rich blood to get into the scar and it will start to heal normally.

This technique was taught to be while i was in massage school. I have used it on my wifes hysteroctomy scar and on my son's scar that he got when he had a big cyst removed above his left eyebrow. and it worked, on both of them the scar is 98% gone and you have to look really close to see them.

**disclaimer, dont do this if you still have stiches or the area is still tender.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
OK
There was a boxer I read about who didn't have any facial scars after several stitches.
Again with the cocoa butter ,and he'd rub raw the scar area after the initial healing and use cocoa butter on it.
I had a scar near my eye on the temple and just used a lufa to scrub over a couple yrs on the scar and it is no longer visable.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
the best thing you can do is a techique called "snapping".

scars are caused by collegen fibers growing in all sorts of different directions and lack of good blood flow. if you know how to snap your fingers you can do this technique.

put the scar between your thumb and middle finger and snap your skin. go up and down the scar 4-5 times and do this twice a day for a month. what you are doing is breaking up the collegen fibers and allowing O2 rich blood to get into the scar and it will start to heal normally.

This technique was taught to be while i was in massage school. I have used it on my wifes hysteroctomy scar and on my son's scar that he got when he had a big cyst removed above his left eyebrow. and it worked, on both of them the scar is 98% gone and you have to look really close to see them.

**disclaimer, dont do this if you still have stiches or the area is still tender.

That's pretty interesting :)

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The Vitamin E thing is a bit of a myth. At least according to my Orthopedic Surgeon, whom told me everybody scars differently and Vitimin E won't do much to reduce scarring. He adivises to keep the incision area clean and free of infection and that's about the best you can hope for.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: desy
OK
There was a boxer I read about who didn't have any facial scars after several stitches.
Again with the cocoa butter ,and he'd rub raw the scar area after the initial healing and use cocoa butter on it.
I had a scar near my eye on the temple and just used a lufa to scrub over a couple yrs on the scar and it is no longer visable.

yip, pretty much what i said about snapping the scar. you are breaking up the collegen and getting fresh O2 rich blood to the scar to heal.