Is there any point to keeping a 9800GT that no longer outputs red?

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
My 9800GT got killed by the card killing driver. It still kind of works but it ouputs no red and nothing that I tried could fix that so it's pretty much useless as a video card.

Right now I use a 5770 and I plan on upgrading to crossfire 5770s soon after I get my new system together. Is it worth buying a 3 PCIE slot MB to have the card in my system as a compute board or something? I know you can hack the drivers for physx but thats not really interesting to me. Can the board still do CUDA and be useful at all or should I just try and sell it to someone looking for a physx card/ folding farm card.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
It came in a dell system that my dad bought me almost 2 years ago. The whole system has 1 year warranty so thats that. If it was a retail card it would be a different story I guess. I was going to build myself s system but I was away from home in college and he surprised me with that thing and I wasn't going to complain.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
You could use two 9800gts in sli and maybe the other card will be able to output red.
Or you could keep it as a physx card.

GotNoRice

Aug 14, 2000
Someone could use it as a PhysX card. Otherwise, if someone had another 9800GT and wanted to run SLI they could probably use that as the secondary card just fine.

Don't junk it, I'm sure someone would buy it.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Someone could use it as a PhysX card. Otherwise, if someone had another 9800GT and wanted to run SLI they could probably use that as the secondary card just fine.

Don't junk it, I'm sure someone would buy it.

You can't be sure that it performs calculations correctly, it might be just as defective for PhysX or SLI.

I guess you could run an artifact tester on if first to see if it's stable.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Maybe it reached its red output quota when it was glowing red hot for a couple of days from the fan not spinning because of the drivers...

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
Well, you could always sell it to somebody with color blindness, they probably won't mind :p

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
An nV card no longer outputs red? the irony is strong with this one :D

notworthy.gif

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
An nV card no longer outputs red? the irony is strong with this one :D
Wow, and I thought it was bad enough that Nvidia was locking out PhysX and Batman:AA. But now even the color red, too? Jen-Hsun must really hate ATi.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Hmm, as others speculate, I wonder if it would still work in SLI. If you can get your hands on another 9800GT as a loaner to use as the primary card in SLI, that would be an interesting experiment.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Well no sli MB for me and I already have a 5770 so I guess I won't be trying that. I might be able to get some used pars though to use it in a spare gaming rig for my sister or something. Sounds like an interesting project hmmm gona have to take a look at FS/FT.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
That card isnt broken. It seems you have gotten the Australian version by mistake. They don't want you to be able to see something that even resembles blood.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
You might try contacting Dell anyway. Even though the card isn't under warranty, your card died because of a known (publicized by NVIDIA) defect in the driver. This situation is similar to the whole NV laptop chipset issue, and all the major OEMs are replacing/fixing laptops outside of the original warranty period because it is a known issue with the chip.

Rich3077

Oct 11, 1999
I heard dogs and cats are colorblind.. doesn't fluffy deserve a video card upgrade?