is there any other roadside service better than AAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
looking to get some extended auto coverage that our insurance won't provide, like AAA's clubmember program. AAA charges $48 for the first car, and $18 for the second. Are there any other reputable alternatives?

-=bmacd=-

Old thread revived by spammer.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
my insurance company (Geico) offers roadside assistance/towing. i have it for the wifes minivan
i have never used it, it is something like $13 for that vehicle for 6 months

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
AAA Plus is the best out there. There are many services that are cheaper but if you were Joe Shmoe Towing company and you got a call from a cell telephone company and a call from AAA about disabled cars, which do you think you'd take care of first?

Pay the extra for piece of mind. One service call pays for the year. If you have a 100 mile tow like I have had, that pays for the next few years.

Mark

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Minjin
AAA Plus is the best out there.

werd! last winter i got stuck in the back roads of VT going to killington, called AAA and in 18 minutes i was out on my way, free - no charge. acura client service was farking useless...AAA owns!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
This guy will gladly, even gleefully, tow your car for free . . . but, apparently you have to kick him in the nuts first. :shocked:

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if you were Joe Shmoe Towing company and you got a call from a cell telephone company and a call from AAA about disabled cars, which do you think you'd take care of first?

:confused: wha...?

and i use CAA plus.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
if you were Joe Shmoe Towing company and you got a call from a cell telephone company and a call from AAA about disabled cars, which do you think you'd take care of first?

and i use CAA plus.

99% of the time, you call your roadside assistance number and then they will call around to local towing companies till they find someone who will pick you up and be reimbursed at a later date. Understand now?

Mark

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
I use the roadside assistant problem offer by citi. so far, I have nothing buy impressed by their service. they will also reimburse me if I got into trouble 100miles away from my home address, travel, lodging, food, etc. up to 3 days.

it costs me about $7 a month. last week, I just had my sister's car towed to the mech

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i'm not looking to switch insurance companies, since 1) my gf and I don't live together, 2) we don't have joint insurance policies, 3) just looking for something with peace of mind.

I know with AAA, you're limited to 2 service calls per year, after that, they will drop you.

-=bmacd=-

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Originally posted by: bmacd
i'm not looking to switch insurance companies, since 1) my gf and I don't live together, 2) we don't have joint insurance policies, 3) just looking for something with peace of mind.

I know with AAA, you're limited to 2 service calls per year, after that, they will drop you.

-=bmacd=-

I don't know where you got that from. Here's what AAA says:

AAA members requiring more than four Roadside Service calls in a Membership Year will be charged for the fifth and all subsequent calls, and no reimbursements will be made when the four-call limit is reached.

Mark

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

-=bmacd=-

I don't know where you got that from. Here's what AAA says:

AAA members requiring more than four Roadside Service calls in a Membership Year will be charged for the fifth and all subsequent calls, and no reimbursements will be made when the four-call limit is reached.

Mark
He's talking about their sneaky discount competitor, Double A.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Between the quality of service & the many useful discounts AAA offers, they are about the best you can do unless you get a plan from somone else included with your auto insurance... I have Geico now myself.

pcnerd37

Sep 20, 2004
My grandpa tows for AAA and i work for him and manage most of the AAA paperwork. the 2 service calls thing is wrong. There are days when we have some idiots that have to send a truck out to 2 or 3 times because they cant figure out where they want to go to start with. AAA is set to the user, not the vehicle!

Beware of AAA call takers, many of them, especially the ones in the denver dispatch center are about as smart as bricks. They get details and locations wrong ALOT! Plus they have a tendancy to hold calls for a while for no aparent reason and then the customer gets mad at us for taking so long when we just got the call but they held it up at dispatch for an hour or so.

Good luck if you decide got get AAA, you will need it. Trust me.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

and i use CAA plus.

99% of the time, you call your roadside assistance number and then they will call around to local towing companies till they find someone who will pick you up and be reimbursed at a later date. Understand now?

Mark
yeah, if you would've used english the first time i would've been set.

and around here it's more like 10% of the time.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

-=bmacd=-

CAA Niagara gets 6, CAA Central Ontario gets 4 i think.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I last had AAA 3 years ago, and since I haven't had a tow in 3 years, I'd say it was worth not having the coverage. If you drive primarily around your own town or not too far from it, it really isn't worth it. Just have a friend pick you up and get the car tomorrow. I only worry about getting stuck somewhere far from home, and not being able to find a towing company. Haven't figured out a solution for that one yet.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
AARP... hahahaha

My parents used to have AAA but now have AARP roadside assistance so I get to carry around an AARP roadside assistance card. Hopefully I never have to use it because I'd feel weird...

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
AAA is great if you have a "weekend" car that is older and you take it out on long drives with a group often. AAA Plus will tow up to 100 miles too, which is very handy.

ZV

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
AAA Plus is the best out there. There are many services that are cheaper but if you were Joe Shmoe Towing company and you got a call from a cell telephone company and a call from AAA about disabled cars, which do you think you'd take care of first?

Pay the extra for piece of mind. One service call pays for the year. If you have a 100 mile tow like I have had, that pays for the next few years.

Mark

I have AAA Plus also.

Nothing else compares that I know of.

Less than $100 a years,for me,And my G/F.

100 mile towing Rules.I called for a tow 2 months ago,it was about 30 miles,and when the man unloaded my car I asked how much would this tow have cost,if I did not have AAA Plus.
"$175.00"

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003

and i use CAA plus.

Mark
yeah, if you would've used english the first time i would've been set.

and around here it's more like 10% of the time.

So Cingular Wireless, State Farm Insurance, and AARP all have their own local tow trucks standing by to serve you?

Mark

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My mechanic who lives upstairs above the garage and takes care of my vehicles is on 24 hour call. If I break down he gets in the tow truck and comes to the rescue!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.