Is there any disadvantage to a hammer drill?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Ornery
Originally posted by: DaTT
RYOBI is garbage. I have owned countless RYOBI cordless tools and the batteries and chargers are the sh!ts. I only bought them because they were cheap. Plus, the RIDGID is very comfortable to hold, and well balanced. RIDGID may have come into the cordless game a little late, but they are the leaders when it comes to industrial strength tools.
TTI designs and manufactures the Ryobi(R) and RIDGID(R) brands of power tools, which are sold at The Home Depot.

Doesn't mean they are both made with the same quality. RYOBI's quality is far inferior to RIDGID.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Milwaukee's been making portable power tools for industrial applications for eons. Heavy Duty cordless tools were a natural extension. Ridgid decided to jump on the cordless bandwagon, and retained TTI (Ryobi), to build them. Milwaukee offers a 5 year warranty to Ridgid's 3 year, and they manufacture their own tools, as always.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Am I the only one who has no problem drilling through brick and mortar with a regular drill and masonary bits? :confused: If you're going through concrete, I would say get the hammer drill, but with brick and mortar you don't necessarily need one.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There's a flippin' $10.00 difference in cost. better to have it and not need it, than to find out later you screwed up. There is virtually no difference in weight, and the bigger the masonry bit, the more the hammer action helps. It ALWAYS helps preserve the drill point, because it doesn't allow it to rub (instead of cut) as much. That $10.00 ain't squat over the life of the tool.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Ornery
Originally posted by: DaTT
RYOBI is garbage. I have owned countless RYOBI cordless tools and the batteries and chargers are the sh!ts. I only bought them because they were cheap. Plus, the RIDGID is very comfortable to hold, and well balanced. RIDGID may have come into the cordless game a little late, but they are the leaders when it comes to industrial strength tools.
TTI designs and manufactures the Ryobi(R) and RIDGID(R) brands of power tools, which are sold at The Home Depot.
That's what I was thinking, like buying a mazda b series pickup over a ford ranger, you're just paying less becuase it's "japanese"