Is there any "Best way" to format or partition a large hard drive?

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
OK, so I have a 1.5 Terabyte drive arriving tomorrow. Samsung F2EG 5400 RPM SATA, internal Hard Drive. I'm going to use it for secondary file storage, MP3's, compiled DVD's, downloads, etc., not for programs. Formatted NTFS under Windows XP Pro.

Is there any "best" way to set it up? Should I just format it as one big drive? Partition it in to three 500 GB sections? Is one way any more efficient than the other?

My existing drive is 500 GB / 7200 RPM and will be used for booting, and programs.

Google seems to return mostly information about software used to perform the process, not the best way to set it up. Also, I don't see any FAQ's here in the forum.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Theres no "best" way. Many people recommend separate partitions for OS/programs and data, but if you have 2 drives thats already been taken care of. Go one big partition and don't worry about it.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Emulex
make sure you align the partition if using an old o/s like xp pro.

Could you expound on "align the partition"? What does that mean?

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
If you're just using it for storage, I don't see why you need any more than one large partition.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

On a magnetic disk? There's no reason to align unless you are running RAID.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
The only thing I would do is to have two partitions, one for OS/apps and one for storage.

That way, if you need to reinstall your OS, your data isn't on the same partition. This is just for ease of use, there are no speed benefits.

BushLin

Oct 28, 2008
Originally posted by: GarfieldtheCat
That way, if you need to reinstall your OS, your data isn't on the same partition. This is just for ease of use, there are no speed benefits.

Not strictly true, a hard drive is fastest at the first partition/first part of the disk and slowest at the end so if you were running applications from the drive using the first partition on the disk for that would have minor benefits to performance.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Not strictly true, a hard drive is fastest at the first partition/first part of the disk and slowest at the end so if you were running applications from the drive using the first partition on the disk for that would have minor benefits to performance.

Minor, being the key word.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
And that might be relevant if you do a lot of huge, contiguous streaming reads but most people's normal usage doesn't have I/O patterns like that.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
I formatted my drive as one partition. Thanks for the input guys. :beer:
Feel free to continue discussing the issue for the benefits of others.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Most people don't have I/O patterns like that, but I do. 2TB external full of blu ray rips at 20gb+ means a lot of large sequential I/O

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Most people don't have I/O patterns like that, but I do. 2TB external full of blu ray rips at 20gb+ means a lot of large sequential I/O

Even with that you don't need ~200MB/s to watch a BD rip.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
No but when you're copying 900gb of data on the inner part of the platters to your backup it's definitely appreciated.

ElBurro

Feb 27, 2009
Originally posted by: GarfieldtheCat
The only thing I would do is to have two partitions, one for OS/apps and one for storage.

I agree here. I'm a believer in having a seperate partitions for data, OS, and apps but in reality there is little benifit in doing so. Except for the above mentioned not disturbing you data when you do a OS reinstall. Then again if you have a good backup you can easily restore data if something goes wrong.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry

On a magnetic disk? There's no reason to align unless you are running RAID.

Care to explain why Vista, Server 2008, and Win7 ALL partition do proper partition alignment? I feel the exact opposite, there's no reason to align.

I partition align all my partitions with 2048K or 1 meg offset (Vista and Server 2008 default), and then format non OS drives with 64K File Allocation Unit Size (vs the 4096 byte default). The space you lose on large drives nowadays is miniscule and worth the extra performance.

Diskpar is what I use and it's easy once you've done it once or twice.