Is there a way to watch Comcast (Hidef) cable through a PC?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I'm working on a little HTPC setup and I'm trying to find out if its possible to feed my Comcast HiDef signal into my PC and watch it that way. Anyone tried this before?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
it can be done using the firewire record method but you set it up to display what it is recording.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Rage187
it can be done using the firewire record method but you set it up to display what it is recording.

You'll run into problems not being able to record channels with 5C flag protection, which is basically all the HD channels Comcat offers now. But the OP said he didn't want to record any of the content, so maybe there's another way.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage

You'll run into problems not being able to record channels with 5C flag protection, which is basically all the HD channels Comcat offers now. But the OP said he didn't want to record any of the content, so maybe there's another way.

Actually with Comcast everything is 5C protected BUT the HDTV content sans NBC.

ABC
CBS
FOX
HBO
Stars
Showtime
INHD
INHD2
ESPN2
Discovery HD
etc etc are not flagged for 5C

every other regular non HD cable channel is including NBC HD, and it sucks.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

ABC
CBS
FOX
HBO
Stars
Showtime
INHD
INHD2
ESPN2
Discovery HD

Really? Where do you live around? Here in Philly where Comcast spawned, the HD channels have all be been 5C'd as well as some SD channels.. I do remember being able to record from them not too long ago though, had you tried it recently? I've gone through the diagnostics for each channel on my box and they all have "1" for the 5C flag, meaning it's enabled. Any suggestions on how to bypass this may earn you PayPal dollars however!

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000

ABC
CBS
FOX
HBO
Stars
Showtime
INHD
INHD2
ESPN2
Discovery HD

Really? Where do you live around? Here in Philly where Comcast spawned, the HD channels have all be been 5C'd as well as some SD channels.. I do remember being able to record from them not too long ago though, had you tried it recently? I've gone through the diagnostics for each channel on my box and they all have "1" for the 5C flag, meaning it's enabled. Any suggestions on how to bypass this may earn you PayPal dollars however!

I live in Charleston SC, I recorded FOX HD and HBO HD lastnight. I use the Panasonic image drivers and CAPDVHS recording software.

When I was with Charter cable nothing was 5C, I could record anything and it was great. Fvck Comcast.

gi0rgi0

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
How are you guys getting the hd feed to your pc's ? Whats the firewire method ? Any links to sights with info ? Thanks!

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

ABC
CBS
FOX
HBO
Stars
Showtime
INHD
INHD2
ESPN2
Discovery HD

I live in Charleston SC, I recorded FOX HD and HBO HD lastnight. I use the Panasonic image drivers and CAPDVHS recording software.

When I was with Charter cable nothing was 5C, I could record anything and it was great. Fvck Comcast.

Damn, well I'm a big HD freak and usually only watch content on HD channels, so I'm screwed when something comes on that I want to record. I use CapDVHS to record also, and HDTV2MPEG to convert the TS stream. I've heard satellite services have little to no 5C protection as well, but living with the parents means I have little say over content providers... besides, I would really like to keep my local channels.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
whoa weird...my bro and i were doing this SAME thing via our comcast HD box connected to my pc through firewire. we could see SOME hd channels, not all of them. and only some analog channels were able to be seen and not all of them. do most of the analog/digital/hd channels have the encryption on them?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000

ABC
CBS
FOX
HBO
Stars
Showtime
INHD
INHD2
ESPN2
Discovery HD

Damn, well I'm a big HD freak and usually only watch content on HD channels, so I'm screwed when something comes on that I want to record. I use CapDVHS to record also, and HDTV2MPEG to convert the TS stream. I've heard satellite services have little to no 5C protection as well, but living with the parents means I have little say over content providers... besides, I would really like to keep my local channels.

don't convert just change the file type it saves in to .mpg

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
whoa weird...my bro and i were doing this SAME thing via our comcast HD box connected to my pc through firewire. we could see SOME hd channels, not all of them. and only some analog channels were able to be seen and not all of them. do most of the analog/digital/hd channels have the encryption on them?

yep 5C