Is there a way to use a SOCKET A in a SLOT A motherboard?

JavaCool

Mar 12, 2000
I know they have slockets for the Intels, but what about AMD?
I have a k7m motherboard...Plz help.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Nope, I think you're out of luck. Either get a new MB and CPU or just get a Slot A Thunderbird.

jscobie

Apr 5, 2001
Dude you can easily pick up a new socketA mobo for about $80 for a lower end, and about $110 for a top of the line

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
Also, dont get a SLOT A thunderbird unless you know your motherboard can take it.

VIA KX133 motherboards had some bad compatibility issues with these chips.

xcourse

Feb 9, 2001
Be glad that there isn't any adapter for socketA to slotA to tempt you into using it! Today's motherboards for socketA are so good that you'd be giving up an incredible amount of performance by doing so.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
There is no slotket. Your mobo uses the AMD750 chipset, so you could get a SLOTA tbird if you wanted. However, the AMD750 sucks, b/c it doesn't support PC133 memory, AGP4x, and a variety of other newer features. So basically AMD750 boards would perform very poorly on a slotket.

KX133 boards don't work with tbirds faster than 800MHz, so a slotket would be stupid there.

You can buy a slotA tbird up to 1ghz for your system, but a better choice would be to get yourself a good socketA mobo

IdahoB

Jun 5, 2001
Idaho's Guide to The Slot A - Socket A DIY conversion kit.

Equipment:

* Slot A motherboard
* Socket A processor
* Soldering Iron
* Hefty Spanner

First, remove the old Slot A processor cartridge and bin it.

Now, take the soldering iron and, holding the end firmly in your left hand, smear solder all over one of the thin edges of your thunderbird. Make sure you smear a line of solder over to one of the pins on the underside. The chip will dynamically establish which pins are now in use and adapt.

Wedge the spanner into the slot next to the CPU and, by leaning back and forth, widen the slot.

Next, push the CPU sideways into the slot, gently, solder side down.

Leave the spanner lying across the motherboard, and boot up.

Simple :)