Is there a way to transfer one harddrive to another and just resume using that one like it was the first one?

Wallysaurus

Jul 12, 2000
Copperman,
There are several ways to transfer the contents of one drive to another. The easiest and cheapest is to download the manufacturer's disk utilities. Most manufacturers have a disk copy module in their disk tools. Just install the new drive as the master and the old drive as the slave and then copy the contents from the old to the new. You can then either remove the old drive or re-format it and leave it in the machine as a second hard drive. I hope this has helped.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
could also try something like Norton Ghost or DriveImage but they cost money.. I'd try Wally's idea first

Borg20001

Jan 9, 2001
I've had good luck with Maxtor's MaxBlast Plus. Of course this presumes that you have a maxtor hd. This software lets you copy partitions and system drives between two maxtor drives. I also had used it to copy a whole 120 meg Western Digital Caviar HD into one of the partitions on my Maxtor and it worked fine.

koolhand

Apr 20, 2001
This question was recently address in another post, LINK

Basically if you're using win9x, use the xcopy command (see specifics in link)
with certain switches to copy long-file names and subdirectories.

The same instruction available at Western digital site: HERE

Be sure to turn off virtual memory first.

billx

Banned
May 3, 2001
I'v used drive copy once by powerquest.It took 8 hours to copy 10 gigs.How long does it take the other way you guys talking about?