Is there a way to rip a MAC CD on a PC?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Do I need some special app or something?

I found a program that'll let me install OS X on a Dell PC and want to give it a try but Vista sees nothing in the drive when I insert OS X into it.

I've never used a MAC before FWIW.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
TransMac. Google it. There's a 30 day trial and it'll let you make an image of a mac cd. (I've only made a .dmg image, not sure how an iso would work or if you could even see it in windows)

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
You might get some help here, otherwise wrong forum and grey area-topic, since osx is supposed only run on apple-approved hardware. :p

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
I may be wrong because I don't know about the "behind the scenes" stuff...

but OSX is Unix based. Windows is MS-DOS based. Mac & PC use different file systems. There's your issue. As previously suggested, you need to access the contents of the CD before Windows loads, or use a program that can decrypt mac files.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury

but OSX is Unix based. Windows is MS-DOS based. Mac & PC use different file systems. There's your issue. As previously suggested, you need to access the contents of the CD before Windows loads, or use a program that can decrypt mac files.

XP is actually OS/2 based.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Injury

XP is actually OS/2 based.

NT was originally API compatible with OS/2 but not actually based off i, IIRC.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
What are you using to install, PearPC? You'll need to create some ISO images of the Mac install CDs. Use ISOBuster or something of the sort and then go from there.