is there a way to regain hearing faster after a concert?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Prevention is the only answer. Wear earplugs. It's only a matter of time until your hearing doesn't come back the same.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
i know you lose your hearing a bit everytime..this was just like exceptionally loud yesterday, and everything is just muffled, it's happened before and usually it goes away in 2-3 days max, the feeling that you're underwater...just was curious if there were some home remedies :0

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
I know how you feel. I know earplugs are the answer, but I think people would laugh at you..... Of course you may be laughing at them in the nursing home 60 years from now when they're deaf...but who cares then?

I think part of the fault lies in the sound techs -- there's always way too much treble and not enough vocals.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BillGates
I know how you feel. I know earplugs are the answer, but I think people would laugh at you..... Of course you may be laughing at them in the nursing home 60 years from now when they're deaf...but who cares then?

I think part of the fault lies in the sound techs -- there's always way too much treble and not enough vocals.

You are in a crowded, darkened hall during a concert. Are you going to be looking around for who is wearing earplugs so you can make fun of them? So why would you think anyone else would? Think about it....

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero

You are in a crowded, darkened hall during a concert. Are you going to be looking around for who is wearing earplugs so you can make fun of them? So why would you think anyone else would? Think about it....

Besides, if they're wearing earplugs, they prolly can't hear you make fun of them anyways.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Nobody cares if you wear plugs. My friend wore them once. I poked fun at him maybe twice and that was it.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002

I totally agree. I wore cotton at the Tool concert I went to and that balanced out the sound pretty well. Couldn't hear the midrange quite as well (i.e. vocals) but at least I wasn't getting blasted with high frequencies. Maybe special earplugs can do a better job of blocking out certain ranges of frequencies better than Walmart cotton, I dunno.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Cotton is not very effective at all, but it's probably better than nothing. The foam plugs are cheap and block much better, but they block comparatively more highs than lows, which tends to make things sound muffled. You can get more expensive off-the-shelf plugs with a flatter frequency response, but they only protect so much and probably won't fit perfectly. The best is custom-fit, musician's-type earplugs, they block all the frequencies relatively well and can reduce overall sound a lot, but they aren't cheap.

Speaking from experience, hearing is one of those things that you don't realize you've fvcked up until it's too late.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I'm calling it first.. RIAA gets class-action lawsuit for people going deaf from too many concerts.

I can't believe you asked a question like this.
Or, mabey I can believe it.

First concert?

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
I believe that you can get musician earplugs that supposedly are better for listening to music....though they may be standard plugs with a fancy name and package and sold for a premium.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
Speaking from experience, hearing is one of those things that you don't realize you've fvcked up until it's too late.

Preach it, brother. I really wish I hadn't screwed mine up.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
can't believe you asked a question like this.

nah, probably my 20-30th show this past 12months.

yesterday was just exceptionally bad...but my hearing has returned to "normal"

yah and from now on i'll probably carry some earplugs with me, b/c most of the time the sound isn't too loud at various venues i go to, it was just this one band decided to turn the volume wayyy up, because the other bands were fine...

p.s. rocket from the crypt put on a good show. : P

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
I absolutely hate the ringing in the ears. I would go nuts if I had it all the time like tinnitus.
I'm very careful with my hearing from fear of this.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nope, it takes a couple days for the "sensor hairs" in your ear to straighten back up. The loud noise flattens them.