Question Is there a way to raise the base voltage for state0 on a radeon?

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
So I'm currently using an old hand-me-down RX580 until there are better options available in the GPU market. Sadly, this thing is clearly failing, and I can see a bit of artifacting on stock settings. (The cause of this is probably that it was too aggressively overclocked for too long, with too high volts.) I can solve the issue for when it's actually being used by just bumping all the voltages by a little and bringing down the clocks a little. However, the voltage tuning in the latest amd drivers doesn't allow me to increase the voltages on state0, the frequency tier when nothing is in use. So I'm now living in this bizarro world where if I don't start any 3d load running on background, I get artifacting on desktop, but if I start up furmark and minimize it everything is fine.

Is there some solution to this?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Have you tried using MSI afterburner to tune voltages and clocks on the card? That might give you more control options. Or you could possibly edit the BIOS itself, using a Radeon VBIOS editing tool.

Also, if you wanted to get a different card, a used or even new 6700XT is a heck of a deal these days I think.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Reminds me of my old Sapphire R9 290 card. There was an issue with losing stability after a few years and black screening and the fix was to essentially up voltages +25mV using an updated BIOS. I think it was possible to manually edit BIOSes for those cards IIRC but obviously YMMV. I don't recall specifically for RX580 but I know cards are significantly more locked down now than they used to be so it may not be possible.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Have you tried using MSI afterburner to tune voltages and clocks on the card? That might give you more control options. Or you could possibly edit the BIOS itself, using a Radeon VBIOS editing tool.
MSI Afterburner didn't work, the UI allows increasing state0 voltage but applying the setting does nothing, increasing other voltages worked fine.
Also, if you wanted to get a different card, a used or even new 6700XT is a heck of a deal these days I think.
I'm probably only going to play a few dozen hours total until summer, so it seems like a waste to buy a card now when new stuff is about to come out. Especially given the most intersting game I'm playing right now is dwarf fortress and the new upper midrange cards are expected for then.

So I really want to try to survive on this card until then.

You could try using Wallpaper Engine. It uses DX11.

I just made my old vulkan test project (that basically draws a single static triange) to run on startup, that seems to reliably push the GPU to state1.

Reactions: Leeea