Edit: Trying To Find Someone To Dub This Video To Mandarin (Universe In 4 Minutes)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Can't one of the AI LLMs dub that video? I'd have thought that it would be a perfect job for them!

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I was thinking I could go to a Chinese neighborhood and pass out flyers about me paying them to translate the video.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Stop pestering people with your flyers. It's like 14 hours, no sane person will do it when it has already been done. Also, how would you know if it is an acceptable translation? Or if they are even translating it as opposed to saying random things?

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Stop pestering people with your flyers. It's like 14 hours, no sane person will do it when it has already been done. Also, how would you know if it is an acceptable translation? Or if they are even translating it as opposed to saying random things?
There is nothing wrong in general with putting up flyers.

The specific person Gizmo might post dumb threads, but that isn't grounds to tell to not try.

There could be Chinese supermarkets with individuals actually willing to take a side job to try and translate bilingually. Great Wall and 99 Ranch.

Or he can spend the big bucks on a professional certified to do the work.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There is nothing wrong in general with putting up flyers.

The specific person Gizmo might post dumb threads, but that isn't grounds to tell to not try.

There could be Chinese supermarkets with individuals actually willing to take a side job to try and translate bilingually. Great Wall and 99 Ranch.

Or he can spend the big bucks on a professional certified to do the work.
He is going to hand them to people, not post it. Cosmos was already dubbed to Chinese and it is probably on NatGeo China.

Reactions: nakedfrog

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
One nutcase saying the crazy ideas of another nutcase are feasible. Seems about right.

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013

I already said that I wasn't trying to dub cosmos anymore, now I'm trying to dub the 4 minute video about the universe.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I already said that I wasn't trying to dub cosmos anymore, now I'm trying to dub the 4 minute video about the universe.

I do wonder if you're smarter than your content lets on and you know damn well that 4 min video will be poorly translated no matter how qualified the translator.

So many idioms, jargon, and implicit references/innuendo in that vid, you'll have as many translations as the Iliad or The Odyssey, and you'll need that much just to capture everything in the content. One for the literal terms, another for the tone at the very least.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Do you actually know Mandarin? If not, just mute it, and then play this in another tab:

She makes reference to "Dong Bei hua" and that she hadn't used it much since the age of 12(quite typical Chinese experience).

The discrepancy between language speakers' ability to communicate can very from a level of "still intelligible but with different tendencies" to utterly intelligible.

I still cannot tolerate the Mandarin cadence very much.