Is there a way to pass the video card directly to a VM?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I use Linux as my main OS but there are some apps that only work in Windows that I use occasionally such as AutoCAD, Google Sketchup and some basic games. For more intensive games I dual boot.

Most of the basic apps like Google Sketchup will not start in a VM as I usually get an error related to video, depends on the app. Is there not a way to pass a video card directly so I can install the real drivers? I think most apps don't like the Virtualbox drivers so it just conks out. Would be nice if I can use some of these apps in a VM rather than dual boot all the time.

Any way to do this? Or is there another virtualization solution that works better? I imagine complex apps like Autocad wont work in Wine so probably not worth trying.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
KVM and Xen support VGA passthrough, but not in a way that would useful in a desktop use case.

I believe VMware Player has decent 3D acceleration, although I've never tried it with a Linux host. Couldn't hurt to try.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
VMware Workstation has decent 3D acceleration, I use it daily for a Win7 VM but I have no idea if something like AutoCAD would be too much for it.

Also be aware that if you use something like KVM or Xen pass through, your host OS loses access to that device so you'll need to buy another card if you want both active at once.

Did you even give WINE a real look? http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=86

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'll give VMware workstation a try, I forgot they also had a Linux version. Good to know about KVM and Xen having that option too. Willing to sacrifice a video card slot for that if I do find myself needing it more.

Audocad was a bad example given I had not tried it, just assumed if sketchup did not work, that would not work either, but I just tried it for fun and it actually DOES work, so that's good. I can always give up Sketchup and just stick to AutoCAD. I don't really use CAD that often but it is useful when planing a home project or something.