Is there a way to message someone that is on your network?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Specifically, someone logged into an FTP server? I have their IP...maybe thru DOS or something?

Thanks.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
netsend?

The syntax of this command is:

NET SEND
{name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

at the command prompt type: net send 66.68.67.01 kwit ur leeching beotch

Change the bold part to the computers name or I.P.

Night201

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
Sometime you can message through the ftp server software.

If they are on the network, you can type:

net send <ip address or host name> <message>

Example:
net send 192.168.1.100 Hello there.
net send bobbyb Hello there.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
net send ip-address msg on anything Windows 2000 or greater
if it's 98 or ME, i got no idea

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Cool, need to play with it tomorrow.

net send was a great way to piss people off in school computer labs, especially when you sent them the same message like 50 times through a loop. I forgot the exact command for it tho

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDSP

net send was a great way to piss people off in school computer labs, especially when you sent them the same message like 50 times through a loop. I forgot the exact command for it tho

Even more annoying is to have an UPS send a message to everyone when there is a power failiure.
I accidentaly entered the wrong domain so about 17000 people got a message when I was playing around with it. LOL!!

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I showed someone how to use netsend and they thought they were sending a message to one person but it went out to the whole network, oops, it was a girl sending it to a guy, said something like "f me" :eek:

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Slacker
I showed someone how to use netsend and they thought they were sending a message to one person but it went out to the whole network, oops, it was a girl sending it to a guy, said something like "f me" :eek:

LMAO!

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDSP

Even more annoying is to have an UPS send a message to everyone when there is a power failiure.
I accidentaly entered the wrong domain so about 17000 people got a message when I was playing around with it. LOL!!

:Q that's funny as sh1t!!!! :D

Thanks guys. Playing around w/it now...wait. That didn't sound right at all...um, you know what I mean.......................

shady123

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2002
HAHAA I love net send expecially to domains, how do you diable it? I didn't know it could be done...

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
Originally posted by: shady123
HAHAA I love net send expecially to domains, how do you diable it? I didn't know it could be done...

i think disabling windows messenger does it.

what's even better than net sending lots of people, though, is to secretly install a remote shutdown utility, i always freak people out by starting it with a 60 second delay, so they always go crazy before i cancel it.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
yup, netsend. a bunch of people (including me) got banned from using the computers ever again for biology for pissing off teachers last year using netsend. It was worth it though :D

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
a friend of mine did a net send to the whole domain saying "get to work".

Luckily it wasn't being sent for some reason. He was already peeing in his pants as this message will virtuall get to anyone, including CEO of the company and all of the VPs.

err

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Perhaps an admin disabled it or the networing guys won't forward it. That's the case here.

We can only net send on our local segments.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: shady123
Stop the messenger service (not in any way related to Windows or MSN Messenger). You can go into the properties of the service and change the startup value from automatic to disabled. This will disable it until you manually start it again. This will also stop messenger-based popup ads.

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
a friend of mine did a net send to the whole domain saying "get to work".

Luckily it wasn't being sent for some reason. He was already peeing in his pants as this message will virtuall get to anyone, including CEO of the company and all of the VPs.

err

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
Used net send to pose as the IT division of the company I used to work for. We screwed with this one guy at work that always downloaded MP3's etc at work. Sent him a message that looked like the following

Mr Anderson (his name was Brian Anderson)...

Please refrain from any future use of this workstation. During a routine scan of your system, we have found evidence of questionable material located on your hard drive. Network access has been restricted from your PC, you will no longer be able to access the internet, nor any private network tools, applications etc. Screenshots of all offending material has already been captured, and your supervisors and/or management have been notified. Attempting to delete said files will prove fruitless at this time. We will be down this evening to confiscate your PC. Please go speak with your supervisor.

Management and everyone was in on this gag, about 250 people knew this poor guy was going to get this message. His face turned green, and he started hitting the delete key like crazy, we had disconnected his network cable so his LAN/WAN access was also down at the time. He was extremely relieved when we let him know if was a joke, he didnt even notice that the message came from a PC on the same domain. I cannot remember laughing that hard in my life.