Is there a way to get your DVD burner to skip read errors quicker?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Burner is an NEC ND-3520

I'm trying to rip a burner DVD and I get read errors at 90% using DVD Decrypter. I have decrypter set to ignore all read errors and to have 0 retries in reading read errors.

There have been 2963 read errors so far, BUT each read error is only 2KB in size. It has been reading for more than 1.5 hours. Why does it take so long to read ~6MB of read errors in a 4.7GB disk??? Can't the reader or the software just go over errors extremely quickly instead of 1KB a second?

I know that these read errors will have little effect in the final movie. At most it'll be only a 2 second span of pixelation or something because it's only 6MB!!! Arggg :(

Even if it's something like 50MB, in 4.7GB of video that's nothing.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Well i'm not particularly sure if it also applies to dvds, but for cds some drives have fast error skip capability. I found that when copying a damaged cd the difference was 7 hours as opposed to 10 minutes.

See if the program has the option of skipping errors, cause otherwise it will pause and try to read the place with the errors for some time before continuing.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
OP stated, "I have decrypter set to ignore all read errors and to have 0 retries in reading read errors."

I guess I would try reinstalling the program or look for a newer version, or a different program.

The newest version I know of for Decrypter is 3.5.4.0.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
The last release of that was March 2005. It's no longer sufficient for newer encryption methods.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Veryt true - but you can also decrypt with DVD Shrink.