Is there a way to change a service tag on a dell? >>

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Got a new mobo, but the service tag is blank. Is there a way to edit it?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
It was warranty through dell.

They usually include a floppy to change it, but one of the contracted people came out and did it, and left without changing it

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Well, you could call Dell, tell them the situation and they will probably give you the url to a website where you can download the utility.

Lemme look in my toolbag and see if I have one on floppy.

BRB.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Well, you could call Dell, tell them the situation and they will probably give you the url to a website where you can download the utility.

Lemme look in my toolbag and see if I have one on floppy.

BRB.

I called them and they want to schedule another service call. It's a huge huge pita to deal w/ these people (the contracted technicians) and I really don't want to have them come out here to boot it off a floppy, type in the correct tag, and that be it

if you could find it that'd be awesome

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Yeah, the problem is that they don't want people to have the utility for warranty reasons. A person could change the service tag of any laptop of the same model that isn't under warranty and get free service.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Yeah, the problem is that they don't want people to have the utility for warranty reasons. A person could change the service tag of any laptop of the same model that isn't under warranty and get free service.

That makes sense..

I'm suprised I can't find it on the net anywhere..

I'll call dell tommorow if all else fails,