Is there a total-war style game in the modern era?

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I was just thinking about this on my way home. I'd love a game with the Total-War style of play (massive-scale strategy across the world combined with real-time battle management) applied to the modern era. Controlling carrier groups, infantry battles, naval battles, and air battles would be quite fun in the modern theater if done correctly. It would be cool to be able to control an insurgency/guerilla-style entity as well with practically unlimited ground troops and sneak attacks.

Does a game like this exist?

El Guaraguao

Diamond Member
May 7, 2008
ah ok. i obviously haven't played total war. which I should consider. i just thought the op was looking for a modern warfare rts if that makes any sense.

snewdle

May 17, 2010
To my knowledge, other than the actual Total War games developed by Creative Assembly there aren't any other strategy games of that style. They are fairly unique in that regard.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
how modern is modern? Scourge of War depicts Gettysburg in a very accurate way, 1860's US

I can't think of anything beyond that though, probably because the whole concept of having a "line of troops" is defunct in the 20th century.

I will say though that the Combat Mission games might appeal to you, even though they are turn based.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
how modern is modern? Scourge of War depicts Gettysburg in a very accurate way, 1860's US

I can't think of anything beyond that though, probably because the whole concept of having a "line of troops" is defunct in the 20th century.

I will say though that the Combat Mission games might appeal to you, even though they are turn based.

modern=current time period(aka, 21st century)

Hammyton

Jul 9, 2002
The only truly epic RTS I can think of is Supreme Commander but that isn't really set in our modern time.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I think World in Conflict is the closest you're going to get to it. Modern armies don't exactly mass up and march rank and file within visibility of the enemy...

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Check out battlefront.com . Think what your looking for is the Combat Mission series. The combat is not exactly like TW but similar.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Combat Mission is a great game. And there is a 3rd party application that can simulate theater operations. But it isnt quite like Total War. It is a turn based game. And very realistic.