Is there a tool?

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Had to put a couple of RJ45 plugs on to a cable I ran today. Been awhile since I did. Took me 4 tries. Is there a tool that spreads and holds the 8 wires so they slip into the plug correctly and easily?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not aware of any but I have seen some plug ends that actually have a small clip that holds them in place. The clip goes in with the wires and becomes part of the cable end. The end also allows for the cables to stick out so they can then be cut flush rather than having to do it ahead of time. They were kinda tedious to figure out at first though but once I got going they were not bad. They were specifically made for cat6, not sure if that's actually part of the standard or if it was this this specific brand that was like that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh yeah you probably don't want to use solid for crimping ends. It's kinda hit and miss. I did the same mistake since I have a huge box of cat6 for in-wall so figured I could use the same for making patch cords but it does not tend to work well. Really need to use stranded for putting on ends, but you want to use solid for punch down stuff. So two different purposes for both types.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
I am confused. All the cables I buy have crimp on plugs and are solid wire. Just like the one I made today.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Are you sure it's solid, it might be stranded. it's kinda hard to tell by looking at it. Though since they are manufactured it could very well be that they just have a different process for putting the end on. Ex: not a standard crimp but perhaps more like a weld. Supersonic welding or something.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Well, I still have a good portion of the 1000 feet of solid cable I bought over a decade ago. At the rate I am using it, it will outlast me. :)

Reactions: ch33zw1z

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I am confused. All the cables I buy have crimp on plugs and are solid wire. Just like the one I made today.

Crimp on ends go on stranded cable, solid core goes in to RJ45 modular jacks. You "can" do either on either, but its failure prone and shouldnt be done.