Is there a safe setting to overclock my GF2?

edm

Mar 7, 2000
First off, let me start by saying I have never over clocked any kind of hardware before. But until I can afford to upgrade to a Geforce 4 I was wondering if there's a safe range I could go to with my Geforce 2 (with the stock fan installed). I know it's a bit dated, especially for newer games like SOF2, GTA3, JK2, etc, but if I can (safely) squeeze a little more out of it, why not... especially for some of my older games. Of coarse if it's too much of a risk, and if I could possibly damage or even fry my card, I will just leave it alone.

Anyway, the cards stock settings are 200/333.. I was thinking about 225/350, is that too much of a jump to start? Is over clocking this little even worth it?

LEADTEK WINFAST GEFORCE 2 GTS 32MB
AMD Thunderbird 1.4
256 DDR
Enlight Case (340W)

Any opinions appreciated,
Thanks

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
It can be damaging, if done incorrectly. if you try to go to a 900MHZ core and 1200MHZ memory on your first try, then perhaps you will damage your card.

This is what I do, just do safe 5 MHZ increments, until your system becomes unstable, then back down a few (i perfer 15-20) MHZ, and run a few benchmarks and see if its stable. If it is, then congrats, you safely, and correctly overclocked your Videocard.

This is what I do, I havn't fried anything yet.... :D

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Here's a good procedure:

1. Increase the memory speed 5 mhz
2. Run a 3D application (JK2, Q3) and check if any artifacts are present (artifacts are grapical defects such as white/black dots or lines)
3. If no artifacts are present, increase the memory speed 5 mhz more
4. Repeat Step 2
5. Continue until artifacts are present, then back the memory mhz down 5-10 mhz.
6. Repeat above procedure with the core frequency.
7. Test the system using some sort of benchmark (like 3d mark) to check for stability.

As long as your system is stable and video applications are working fine, I wouldn't worry about frying your card. Overclocking might technically decrease the products life, but it shouldn't really be an issue unless your push the card too far.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
THe above methods are what you should do, but note that the GTS is very memory bandwidth limited so don't worry too much about the core. Just get that RAM as high as possible.