Is there a PCMCIA digital out sound card?

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Hey guys, I'm looking for a sound card for my laptop. It has built in sound but I'd like a PCMCIA sound card with digital out so that I may connect it to my home theater receiver via optical out. Does such a product exist?

metalmania

Platinum Member
May 7, 2002
my friend had one. He didn't tell me the brand and price, but said "it's really expensive."

jschuk

Jun 29, 2001
I believe that the Toshiba Satellite 5205 series have them built in if you are looking for a new laptop. Actually the 5105 & 5005 series may have them too.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Mingon
I have the sound blaster mp3+ and the quality from that is excellent
I stand corrected :), looks like there is such a thing!
I've just checked out the prices for the Extigy and the price is insane! It's still ~$130 after 2 years of its release! Man that's nutty.

I've forgotten about this thread lol, thanks for the suggestions! To be more specific, I'd like to play DVDs from my laptop and would like to output 5.1 Dolby Digital as well. Thus the need for optical/digital coaxial out to my receiver. I don't think this is necessarily hard to do... right?

jschuk, I'm definitely not looking for another laptop lol. I'm still paying off this one and will have to use it until I graduate. It's a solid machine, just doesn't have every output possible :).

firtol88, your Onkyo USB based solution reminds me of the Creative Extigy (I think it was called that). That just might work for me though I wonder about its availability and Creative's not so good driver support. I've owned several Creative products, and while none of them truely went kaput on me, it wasn't the best of experiences.

My IBM T30 laptop doesn't support USB 2.0... does that mean that new nifty looking Audigy 2 NX won't work to it's full potential? I remember some articles/posts about the Sound Blaster Extigy being limited by the use of USB 1.0 (not enough bandwidth or something like that). Hrmmm.....

firtol88

Banned
Oct 23, 2001
"the need for optical/digital coaxial out to my receiver"

if this is all you need and your reciever will do any processing then look at the UD-5 above

"does that mean that new nifty looking Audigy 2 NX won't work to it's full potential?"

yes